AKG K240S vs Beyer DT440
Dec 4, 2004 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chungsoi

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I am tossing up whether to buy the "AKG K240s" or the "Beyer DT440", and I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Do the k240s work well without an amp? Or will the DT440 work better?
The phones will be used mainly on my laptop, home mini hi-fi, and no plans of getting an amp.

K240s is priced at $160AUS where as the DT440 is $250AUS.
Do you think it is justifiable to spend the extra $90AUS on DT440?

Which phones are more comfortable?

Thanks everyone.

Dec 4, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 13
3 days ago I purchased the AKG K240s and they didn’t sound good without amp. But things get better. Not all amps sound good with these headphones. The amps should have low impedance jacks. This means, that usually a standard 120 ohms headphone jack from a regular stereo makes these headphones sounds weak. After finding out that, I switched to my Monsoon flat panel pc sound system and they sounded incredible. So be aware of that.

After burning in these headphones for 2 (nights / days), I called them my home etys. Detail is incredible and the bass and treble are presented. I was thinking to exchange it but my ears don’t want that. I just love the sound of these. Doesn’t hurt my ears, comfortable, light and doesn’t cause fatigue. The sound I was looking for.
280smile.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 13
chungsoi: Sorry, but no, the K240S won't deliver their real qualities without a nice little headphone amp with low impedance output (like the PortaCorda II for example...). The DT440 is much less sensitive to ampless use and more efficient as well, but it's also less comfy (which is a bit of a pity, because Beyerdynamic could have just kept the DT531 headband design, and the thingy would be even comfier than the K240S...). So in your case, I'd rather invest in the DT440, if you don't want to give in and combine the K240S with an amp (the priceworthy Headsave models should probably do, too...).

Turbo: Well, welcome to Team Groovalizer, then!
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 13
Take a grain of salt as I'm not as experienced as these other guys here, but IMHO my AKG K240S sound just as good out of my Creative NJB3 with or without my TotalAirHead amp.

I remember being very frustrated about how hard they were to drive when I first got them, but after listening to them for over a year now, I like them out of any source, amped or ampless.

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 13
r_p: NJB3 has got a surprisingly good headphone out, iirc - I'm not really surprised that a Total Airhead won't make a significant difference...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
How will the K240S sound with a "super mini moy" amp or the "headsave go-vibe"?

Will the amped K240S sound closer to the dt531 or the DT440?

The go-vibe should be quite adequate to drive the K240S. Don't know anything about the super mini moy.

It will by no means sound similar, but yes, amped the K240S will compete against the DT531 and DT440.

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
And win, IME.

Well, it's really preference dependant. Haven't heard the DT440, tho'.

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
And win, IME.

Seconded. But in the end, it's probably a matter of taste whether one prefers the somewhat bowl-shaped response of the DT531, the slightly sloped response of the K240S or the overall fairly neutral but a bit jaggy (from upper mids upwards) response of the DT440.

Personally, I find the midrange on the DT531 a bit too recessed (and maybe also a bit dry) - that's the main reason why I'd rate the DT440 a tad better for overall sound quality and the K240S best. For bass, I'd rate the DT440 best in definition, with the DT531 and the K240S each following a bit behind. However, for bass extension, the K240S works best for me. In the treble, the DT440 seems to have most sparkle, whereas the K240S has a more shimmery presentation - and the DT531 ranges somewhere in between.

For efficiency, the DT440 wins. It is the only phone in that trio that I would also recommend for unamped portable use (the DT531 works nicely on home receivers and integrated amps, though). Whereas for comfort, for me the DT531 is on top, closely followed by the K240S and the DT440 trailing a bit behind (= being still ok, but not really great).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Personally, I find the midrange on the DT531... maybe also a bit dry

It is, make no mistake; especially in comparison to the K240S. It's still a richer midrange than the other Beyers I've heard.

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 13
I haven't heard the dt440, but I prefer the K240s to all the other headphones I've owned. (HD580, DT250-250, SR125)

IME the K240S sounds decent unamped, so you could enjoy it until you've saved up enough for, say, a headsave go-vibe to amp them.

IMO you can't go wrong with the K240S. BTW, isn't there a headband cracking problem with the dt440? I think I've read that here from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back