AKG K240S -> need more/better bass, better translation in mixes/masters - where to go next?!
Oct 1, 2016 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

komiez

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! New member her but been following many threads here for a long time, thought of making an account now that I need some more prof. feedback!

Making 50% classical music/film music like Hans Zimmer stuff and a lot of pianos, 30% electro and retrowave/synthwave 80's music like Timecop 1983, The midnight etc and 20% house/EDM. At the moment my gear is my iMac, macbook air, Focal Alpha 50's monitors but not the best room and treatment (none) and to this I have a pair of AKG K240's semi opened headphones.
Need good bass translation, good mids for good translating pianos which I need to EQ very much from the sample stuff I use, sometimes sounds too thin, good mid/highs for male and esp. female vocals and synths and strings.

My dilemma started 2 days ago when I had a concert with my band, I am making all the tracks in my DAW and we play covers of EDM tunes, I make the tracks. Haven't mixed EDM so much but the tracks sound good, although they'd need more bass/warm bass on top of the bass player. So, I boosted the sub-bass in some of the tracks and added another saw bass and eq'd it.
Very low levels, but what happened was that the bass totally overwhelmed the melody and the track so we didn't hear ourselves enough (due to no possibility of sound check) and sometimes it was a chaos..to me.

So, I need new pair of headphones ofc! The K240's are really magnificent, I love the open sound and the great soundstage, feels sometimes I'm in the middle of Ultra Music Festival mainstage or the Carnegie Hall which I love, but the bass isn't quite there.
When I play cellos and basses it's there to 40-50% imo but for the EDM and retrowave tracks I make I need the bass to "be there" so I don't have to mix it 20 times before I find the proper level, although I test it on my Focal monitors which are great (think I listened to 20 pairs before I bought them). So yeah, a true audiophiliac who want's That sound.

Borrowed a pair of K271s but really not convinced yet, ofc good bass and the bass is there...I am kind of "biased" to the Sennheiser HD25 model and its sibilings... anyone with me?
Would like to, find a good pair of hp's that will deliver the bass which sound great in the phones and that translates the bass and the track "perfectly" to the monitors and other systems since I will work 50% with the headphones. Friends (edm) that use mostly the HD25's translate good tracks made with them...but kind of expensive and too "small" I think..love the airy feeling and bigger cans.

So, what would you recommend? Anyone that makes the kind of music I make, or have great experience with a good balanced pair of headphones?
Reading good reviews here and elsewhere on the K550's and K553's, somehow also considering the DT-770's.. ... but I really love the K240's and want to keep the natural open sound of AKG and how well stuff sound in them. But I need headphones that can translate my mixes better than those. I cannot really mix good in these ones.

Budget: Around 100-180 dollars perhaps, if there are any? I really think there are great headphones that don't need to cost 300+ :)

All the best,

EDIT: narrowed down to K553, HD600, K702 (K712, too pricy atm).

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Found a SonicSensePlaylist of headphones, the AKG K267 (Studio mode) sounds really good, aswell as K712 (open!? but still bassy?) and the HD800 sounded really nice to my ears (way above my budget haha!), but how come the K712 have this bass when they're open headphones? :)

Looking forward to some experiences of another brands too ofc :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 3
bump!

No feedback? :)

Narrowed down to the Sennheiser HD600's, AKG K702 (K712 are a bit expensive for me atm but sounds good in the examples).
Also I liked the AKG K267 Tiestos but feels like the K702 and HD600 are in a much better and another level.

All feedback is appreciated. Mostly classical music but some electro/EDM too. Just need a good overall soundstage and headphones that translates good onto other systems and I do not have to worry about missing bass or too much bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back