AKG K240MKII or Sennheiser HD 598
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ptv999

New Head-Fier
Due to responses to the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/583794/good-semi-past-entry-level-headphones
I have decided to choose upon the above two headphones because they are either semi or full open air. What are the differences of the two? And perhaps, which would you recommend me?

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 5
HD-598 has a much larger soundstage, a warmer sound and less bass.

The K240 Studio doesn't have as much treble and is close to being a dark headphone. It took me awhile to realize this.

HD-598 probably has more detail, but they're probably comparable when it comes to overall sound clarity.

K240 Studio (same as MKII mostly) would be best for those that want a little extra bass than what the HD-598 offers.

K240 Studio is also a lot harder to drive and won't work well without an amp. You may get lucky though. HD-598 also needs one despite what people say. It actually sound good unamped though. For good bass you need an amp.

Both are equally comfortable, but I guess the HD-598 has the edge.

If you do any sort of gaming or movie watching, the HD-598 is a must have.

If I had to pick a favorite, I couldn't do it. HD-598 maybe I'd take just for being open. HD-598 does have more engaging mids though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 5
I own the HD598 and have auditioned the AKG 240. I prefer the HD598 much more. It's a more fun out of the two, and the bass while maybe less isn't lacking either. Plus, the HD598 is easier to drive. As said above, the soundstage is better on the HD598.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I used to have three 240's headphones long time ago and they sweat in hot weather. Do these come with velvet ear pads?

AKG k240 MKII, and not the Studio version, comes with two sets of pads: one velvet and another pleather fitted.
BTW it also comes with an extra coiled cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back