AKG K240
Feb 13, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda` /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need an amp for these. I mainly listen to music through my computer. My budget is at 130$ max.

I have considered the Nuforce Icon Mobile, iBasso T4, PA2V2, and Cmoys.

If this is the K240M 600 ohm forget portable, unless you get a TTVJ portable Millett hybrid. If it is the K240S I can't help because I haven't heard them. Sorry. What is their tonal character and quality? The two under $100 options with DAC included are both a little on the bright side (Nuforce Icon Mobile and Vividaudiotech V1). I don't know if you need a warmer amp or not, but the T4 would qualify, and it is actually able to drive a pair of K702 that I have on loan here and sound good. You could add a $40 headstage USB DAC cable to the T4, unless you have a very good sound card in your computer already.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Sorry - I looked at my post and I was not very clear at all. The V1 (AD8397 opamp) that I mentioned above is the only one in your price range that I know has the power to somewhat drive the K240M 600 ohm. The Nuforce cannot drive them.

In my review http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/u...ce-xm5-306883/ I said:

"I do not have my Denon D2000 while they are being re-terminated as balanced 4-pin (with SE adapter), so I tried my 600 ohm AKG K240M that used to be owned by Stevie Wonder (eBay seller bought them from his ex-wife, and he was selling all kinds of stereo equipment and DAT with brail dots on them, and they smell like his hair gel ). Anyway, these are quite difficult to drive. Moderate and good volume levels can be obtained at max volume without clipping the V1 (5 o'clock). The V1 can play much louder with the AKG K240M than the stock D2 Viper, which I maxed out in high gain at 5 0'clock and still found the D2 Viper to be about 5-6 db quieter. The D2 Boa was maybe 1-2 db louder than the Viper with these 600 ohm AKG, but it still couldn't attain the higher levels of the V1 when at max volume. The Predator in high gain at 3 o'clock could beat the stock Viper volume and match the Boa in volume, but it would clip at anything past 3 o'clock with the 240M. Only the Pico could exceed the V1 volume levels with these headphones, by at least another 2-3 db! With the Pico and V1, maybe 10% of my music had a high enough input signal to make me back down the volume knob by half an hour from max volume to avoid clipping. And, transparency with the AKG was quite good, possibly even better than with the HD600 which were previously my favorite with this amp! (although the bass is not as strong as the HD600). All the amps were very transparent with the AKG K240M and these are great headphones, but only the Pico and V1 could really do them any justice without resorting to a desktop amp, with the Pico still a clear lead. Wow again, to be in second place with these headphones was a big surprise! "

Later I tried the TTVJ portable Millett hybrid and the warmer hybrid tube amp sounds better, but at 4.5x the cost. If you like it slightly on the bright side the V1 will give them the juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back