akg k240 vs. sony d66sl
May 26, 2006 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kramerica

New Head-Fier
This probably sounds like a weird matchup but I'm interested in both but can only get one for now and hope there are some of you that have had the privilege of using both.

I'd just like a comparison of sound, size, and isolation basically. Also would the k240's be too big to take out of your house? I'm also just a little concerned about the bass in the k240's as I hear they pack quite a punch. One reason I'm leaning towards the d66sl's is because people say the bass is lacking but I actually prefer less bass than too much. So I'm assuming the bass on these two phones are like night and day. Yeah? No?

Any help appreciated.

May 26, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 4
K240s are semi-open (= basically open with a bit of damping), so don't exspect much isolation. Peering over the thumb, I'd say it's about 3 dB...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 26, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 4
I just received my k240s and am listening to them directly out of the box. I have about 3 hours on them right now and so far I enjoy them even more than my hd555s that have about 300 or more hours on them. The 555s are more neutral and have more dynamics but have a fabric soft coloration to them that deters from the music. The piano notes for example are blacker between notes on the akg plus I love what it does to my britpop stuff. They are no longer annoying to listen to and are actually making me forget the headphones and listen to actual music. hmm, so far, I can hear a peak around 10khz but it only bothered me with 2 songs so far. The thing is, they are not even broken in yet and they are already making me want to sell my 555s. In addition to that, they are a lot harder to drive than the 555 but despite that I still enjoy them with my pcdp. My 555s never really made me want a louder more impactful amp but this one does, which is the biggest weakness so far. And oh, I already love its soundstage more than the 555. Not too wide and seemimgly more focused. acoustic guitars on alice in chains unplugged for example sound more real and less fabricky. I'll post more on it if it improves with burn in
biggrin.gif

Edit: It's weird... the 555s are harder sounding, not as freeflowing and liquid as the k240s but are soft around the edges in the sense of that fabric coloration that makes it sound dry. ??? Well, I'll have to narrow down the actual faults more analytically later but as for now I'll enjoy my new cans and start the burn in track overnight as I sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back