AKG K240 Vintage Owners Club
Jan 23, 2018 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Makiah S

Sponsor: EarMen | HeadAmp
Member of the Trade: Bricasti Design
Formerly known as Mshenay
So I've had my Sextett MP for a while now and I really like it, I use it more than anything I own just because of how well rounded it is for my needs! It's light weigh, sufficiently resolving, spacious and fairly balanced. Though I do run it balanced out of my NFB10ES2 so having that amp does help simplify things.

Pics will be added here shortly

That said, I enjoy my Sextett so much that I went and got another AKG K240 Vintage 600 Ohm open back... this time an 1980's M Variant! A big thanks to @Robinhook for turning me on to how MANY variants there are! I picked up one of his 240M variants, the one with the 3 Black/ an 3 White radiators and... I quite like it too! It's a little bassier and fuller in the mid range than my Sextett... just as comfy and it looks a little better too. Thankfully it too is wired for balanced 4pin XLR

Either way it seems like collecting these might be my new thing, and in searching for more pairs to try/buy I've discovered there's a nice little following of people who really love these Vintage AKG's so that said I say it's high time we reBirth the Vintage K240 Owners club!

I do ask that we keep discussion limited to the many 240 Variants as well as limiting inclusion to only discontinued versions of said headphone! As curious as I am to hear other Vintage AKGs I must resit for now lol

Sadly, neither of mine are stock. My Sextett has been fully re-cabled to SPC Litz and I use Cosmos Velour Pads in place of the stock leathers, additionally my 240M is also modded the replacement parts/mods are listed below

1. Elastic bands - they still hold up well, not replaced.
2. Foam inserts in earpads - replaced with New Authentic AKG stock ones
3. Internal foam ring - replaced with New Authentic AKG stock ones
4. As you can see in one the picture below, the original 6.35mm plug has a big crack on the side. I replaced it with a Neutrik 4-pin XLR plug (about 0). The cable was still the original, which has 4 splits with separate "-" for the L and R, therefore can be adapted to a balanced plug.
5. To protect the body of the cable, I wrapped it with this cable sleeve (about 0), so it appear thicker and more robust:
6. Earpad were replaced with the Sheepskin/Memory foam ones

Still, while some of you will likely enjoy the 100% stock sound/configuration, I'm also interested in hearing what changes/improvements the modders have found!

To start, I switched to Silver Plated Litz cabel for my K240. As using the balanced output of my amp really did open things up! The SE output of my Ember II was rather soft and kinda flat sounding... no fault of it's own though as the Sextett's are quite difficult to drive! Non the less, I also liked how the Cosmos Velours add clarity/texture to my Sextett! They also helped open up the sound stage, thankfully the 240M I have strikes a nice contrast to my Sextett, with a little more fullness and body!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 5
K240 Sextett LP owner checking in! I've been thinking about getting one of the studio or M variants soon. Started out with a K240 MK1

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Owner of a K 240 Sextett Cardan (MP) with carton, manual und original guarantee card that I got in NOS Condition in the year 2010 for a nice price.
In fact "K 240 Sextett Cardan" is the full name of this headphones.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Owner of a K 240 Sextett Cardan (MP) with carton, manual und original guarantee card that I got in NOS Condition in the year 2010 for a nice price.
In fact "K 240 Sextett Cardan" is the full name of this headphones.

Pretty cool do you have a picture of it?

An interesting note, pads make a BIG difference with these I have some Cosmos velours on my SuperluxHD 668B that I swapped onto my k240M and wow! Sound stage is actually bigger than on my Sextett, but the clamp on the 240m is also less. My Sextett has a stronger clamp an sounds a little intimate in comparison to the 240M, even with the velour pads and the inserts [I run my Sextett Naked] it's still has a nicer mid range with an even slightly larger sound stage!

Cool stuff, how many of you are running stock pads? An if you've switched up what do you like?

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 5
stocks on my K240 but I got angled leathers for my K340, If the K340's had better clamp it would be perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back