AKG K240 Sextett vs. AKG K712 pro
Apr 21, 2016 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Martijn W

Head-Fier
Hi,

Does anyone own (or at least know) both the AKG K712 pro and the K240 Sextett? And if so, which one do you like better? And how does the old Sextett compare to other current AKG higher-end models?

I ask this because recently my AKG K240 Sextett (MP) failed on me. One side doesn't work anymore. I really liked it. But it happened a few times already and i'm tired of getting it fixed. This time i decided to order a K712 pro as a replacement of my beloved Sextett.

Now i have my fingers crossed that it is a worthy replacement! :)

Martijn

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 11
I can't voice my opinion for those in particular but I can for similar models. The similar one to the sextett is the well known k240's and k240's mkII. The comparable product to the K712 pro's is the Q701. 

The K240's sound to me a bit emphasized in the mids department. Great for Rock and roll, very detailed considering their price. Bought them for a friend for this past christmas, far as i'm aware they are still operational.

The Q701's I actually use. These are VERY DETAILED. Some may say that these are treble emphasized and bass is lean. I would say the bass is just a hair lean, but not lean in crazy amounts, very detailed bass, quick too. The treble after burn in doesn't really bother me, because its evened itself out, it is the highlight of these headphones.

I believe you will love your k712 pro's, I highly advise a long, 100 hour burn in though.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanksfor the input.

The K240 Sextett is actually quite different from the later models of the k240. i dont doubt the mk2 is nice for its price but i believe its a market entry level product.

The Sextett is a different beast. I hope the k712 pro matches its performance but i wont be surprised if it doesn't :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 11
Glad to Help! I wouldn't be too worried about the K712's. The entire k7xx lineup is really similar. From what little I have heard about the k712's, is the bass is more than the Q's, and the Q's are more than the k701/k702's. 

Are you into modding? You could bass mod the Q's to try to get it to sound similar to the 712's. Plus the Q's are really cheap right now, my Dad bought me mine for christmas. 169$ in 2015. Of course, 200-220$ once you get a case and such. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 11
I received the K712 right after  my last post (days earlier than I expected). I plugged it in right away and put some music on while I was still working so it already had a few hours on it when I first tried it.

First thing that came in my mind was "this is definately a refined headphone". Second thing that came to mind was the high-end sounding a bit odd. There is clearly a trebble spike which seems a bit to loud. 

The high-end makes the K712 a much brighter headphone than the Sextett, that's for sure. Also the bass has a bit of an 'airy' or 'bloomy' character. in relation the Sextett sounds more balanced, but also more dull. The Sextett does have without a doubt tigher bass (higher quality with approximately the same quantity).

Upper mids and topend are (in spite of the peek) a lot more refined on the K712 though.

I'm not sure if the K712 is better, but it's probably on par, allthough a very different sound signature.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Glad you enjoy your K712's

Like I mentioned earlier, look into the bass mod for the k701/q701 for some info on improving the bass.

Your getting into the range of headphones with wicked soundstage comparable to the hd800's

Probably some eq to high end and the bass mod would sort out your issues. I believe these are more detailed for sure, If not among the most detailed (within reason justifying cost)

Also these newer akg's, especially the k/q701 is you need to listen for awhile to become used to the way they come off.

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 11
http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

here is a Fr graph which will include the k712's, and unfortunately not your late beloved sextetts... but they have various others you can compare to. Measured with Binaural mics within a dummy head. If you look and compare the k701 to q701 and the k712s, the k712's are ever so slightly better in the bass department than the q's. I've never experienced the opportunity to demo the 712's, but they seem to be just a minor improvement over the q's, but thats subjective to the listener

May 3, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Well, i sold the K712 as their brightness on top-end isn't for me. I purchased an occasion AKG Sextett, which looks like an early production (EP) type (my previous one was MP or LP).

I hope these old cans will again do the trick! :)

May 3, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 11
my sextett EP has a quite obvious treble spike, and relatively recessed mids. Other than that it sounds very neutral and the bass respond is phonomenal. To my surprise it actually got a decent amount of subbass, compared to k240m and df.
I also have a sextett LP, but it doesn't have the fun bass of EP, mids and treble sounds like an M with lesser quality... making it boring to listen to.

k712 is actually very refined and detailed, the treble reminds me of the 240df LP, which has a very special quality compared to the MP or any other headphones - It was very very resolving while smooth.
I prefer 712 over the older 7xx family... which all have the bloated mid bass, muffled mids and unimpressive treble.

Hope this helps.

May 3, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 11
  Well, i sold the K712 as their brightness on top-end isn't for me. I purchased an occasion AKG Sextett, which looks like an early production (EP) type (my previous one was MP or LP).

I hope these old cans will again do the trick! :)

oh i totally missed out your latest comment
happy listening!

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 11
A late reply may be but I wanted to add my impressions as well. I have the Massdrop K7XX and Sextett (MP). I find Sextett to be a better sounding one with more detail and better imaging. Sextett sounds more high end compared to K7XX. The only single bonus is the soundstge width of K7XX which IMO is not necessarily important because Sextett sounds more holographic and has better imaging which makes you immerse in the soundfield "totally".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back