AKG K240 Sextett & ATH-AD2000... Now what?
Mar 27, 2021 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Adabisi

New Head-Fier
I love the sound I get from the Sextetts and the AD2000 (non X) plugged into a vintage receiver. THIS is what electric guitars are supposed to sound like. 95% of my listening is rock/metal.

Is there anywhere to go from here? Anything that has a comparable sound signature, but next level? Or am I on the summit and don't know it?

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 23
If you can demo them, the ATH-R70X may be an improvement, but it depends what tone you're looking for. More neutral tuning, better bass response, more technically capable.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 23
If you can demo them, the ATH-R70X may be an improvement, but it depends what tone you're looking for. More neutral tuning, better bass response, more technically capable.

Definitely not looking for more neutral. If anything, less neutral and more extreme versions of the Sextett/AD2000 sound. Thanks for the rec, though.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 23
I don't have personal experience with the AD2000 and all the reviews I can find just say things like "the tuning is wonky" and "bass shy".

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 23
I love the sound I get from the Sextetts and the AD2000 (non X) plugged into a vintage receiver. THIS is what electric guitars are supposed to sound like. 95% of my listening is rock/metal.

Is there anywhere to go from here? Anything that has a comparable sound signature, but next level? Or am I on the summit and don't know it?

It's hard to beat the Sextetts/AD2000 with classic metal. I'm only listening to rock/metal and I'm very happy with the ZMF Aeolus, the Verite Closed and the Grado Hemp.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 23
I don't have personal experience with the AD2000 and all the reviews I can find just say things like "the tuning is wonky" and "bass shy".

I wouldn't say that. Tuning is perfect to my ears, but I can see how it some may not appreciate it. Bass quality and quantity is not the selling point, but it does the job just fine.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 23
It's hard to beat the Sextetts/AD2000 with classic metal. I'm only listening to rock/metal and I'm very happy with the ZMF Aeolus, the Verite Closed and the Grado Hemp.

Those two ZMFs are definitely intriguing, but a little beyond what I want to spend on this hobby right now. I've read a lot about the Hemps being great for rock/metal. I've had the Grado SR80 for years and the Sextett/AD2000 sound like an SR80 cracked to 11.

How do them Hemps compare to the Sextett/AD2000? Is it a different sound? More of the same? Better? Worse?

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 23
Sextetts and AD2000s are pretty much the pinnacle of that in-your-face wall of guitar sound. Ive yet to come across any other headphones that do what those two can do.

I would suggest that Audio GD R2R11 is a better match for the AD2000s. Via vintage receiver the bass response of the AD2000 becomes a bit bloated due to impedance mismatch.

The ZMFs are fantastic headphones and are way more sophisticated sounding, with better staging, 3D-ness and bass, both mid and sub. However they do not have that guitar sound that makes the Sextetts and AD2000s so damn good for rock and metal.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 23
Sextetts and AD2000s are pretty much the pinnacle of that in-your-face wall of guitar sound. Ive yet to come across any other headphones that do what those two can do.

I would suggest that Audio GD R2R11 is a better match for the AD2000s. Via vintage receiver the bass response of the AD2000 becomes a bit bloated due to impedance mismatch.

The ZMFs are fantastic headphones and are way more sophisticated sounding, with better staging, 3D-ness and bass, both mid and sub. However they do not have that guitar sound that makes the Sextetts and AD2000s so damn good for rock and metal.

It was your posts and videos that convinced me to try out the Sextett and eventually the AD2000 - you've cost me hundreds in the last few months! And I don't mind a bit - the Sextett/AD2000 are everything I've ever wanted in a pair of headphones. I appreciate the tip on the amp, I'll have to look into getting one. And thanks for info on the ZMFs - the last thing I want is to lose that guitar crunch you get the with the Sextett/AD2000.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 23
It was your posts and videos that convinced me to try out the Sextett and eventually the AD2000 - you've cost me hundreds in the last few months! And I don't mind a bit
sorry about your wallet, but im glad youre digging em. Theyre really hard to beat, esp at the price. Truth be told if I knew of a $3k pair iof headphones that did what they can do, id be saving my coins!
I appreciate the tip on the amp, I'll have to look into getting one. And thanks for info on the ZMFs - the last thing I want is to lose that guitar crunch you get the with the Sextett/AD2000.
ZMFs def have texture and the "crunch and chunky" sound, but the guitars are farther back in the presentation vs. Sextetts and AD2000s, but then again all headphones guitar sound is farther back vs. those two.

The AGD R2R11 has a special synergy with the 2000s. The added warmth of that amp/DAC match well with the 2000s speedy/dry sound.
Upon recommendations I picked up a Gilmore Lite Mk ll for the 2000s, and IMHO the AGD smoked the Gilmore (for the 2000s), and its cheaper!

As far as the Sextetts go, an old receiver beats even my Glenn OTL, so keep your receiver around.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 23
Yes for a much easier to drive headphone the Grado Hemp is very good with Rock guitar music. In the process of modding my Sextetts for balanced use and still would be hard to give a fair comparison of the two as they have such different power requirements but will say the Grados would hold their own .

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 23
How do them Hemps compare to the Sextett/AD2000? Is it a different sound? More of the same? Better? Worse?

It's been a while since I heard the headphones you have, but I would say the Hemp sit in between the Sextett/AD2000 and the ZMFs for the crunch of the electric guitars. The Hemp sound like a faster version of the HD600 with a much better bass response, and the Grado upper-mids. The Hemp is a fantastic all-rounder to me, they are organic, dynamic, engaging and I'm sure they would be a good complement to your Sextett/AD2000.

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 23
Damn you people now I need to hear the AD2000’s . Have found plenty of 2000x’s on eBay but no 2000’s.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 23
It's been a while since I heard the headphones you have, but I would say the Hemp sit in between the Sextett/AD2000 and the ZMFs for the crunch of the electric guitars. The Hemp sound like a faster version of the HD600 with a much better bass response, and the Grado upper-mids. The Hemp is a fantastic all-rounder to me, they are organic, dynamic, engaging and I'm sure they would be a good complement to your Sextett/AD2000.

Sounds like they're at least worth trying out. I hear nothing but praise for how they handle rock/metal.

ZMFs def have texture and the "crunch and chunky" sound, but the guitars are farther back in the presentation vs. Sextetts and AD2000s, but then again all headphones guitar sound is farther back vs. those two.

Yes, that's what I meant. Don't want to level up to $2K headphones and lose those guitars at the forefront.

Damn you people now I need to hear the AD2000’s . Have found plenty of 2000x’s on eBay but no 2000’s.

I got mine on the For Sale section here. It's the only place I've ever seen them for sale.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 23
Sounds like they're at least worth trying out. I hear nothing but praise for how they handle rock/metal.

Yes, that's what I meant. Don't want to level up to $2K headphones and lose those guitars at the forefront.

I got mine on the For Sale section here. It's the only place I've ever seen them for sale.
Link please so I can take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back