AKG K240 MKII vs. Earphones
Jul 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BackBoneCrusher

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, i have some questions

I want to buy a new headphone/earphone, but i don't know what to choose

My budget is max 150$ CAN (The price of the AKG K240 MK2, here, in Canada) but i spotted some earphones, like the E80S or the SE215. I don't know if the AKG240 is way better than those little earphones or not, i don't know if it's a good value. I will especially walk with them, so i'm pretty lost :triportsad:

Thank you in advance :darthsmile:

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 11
It's not so much a matter of better or worse sound quality. If you want the most 'natural' representation, then the K240 MK2 are likely to deliver that because of their significantly larger soundstage (the illusion of space in the music). However, if you want to hear all details in your music, the IEMs (In Ear Monitors) like the SE215 will do a better job. IEMs have much better sound isolation and are much more compact, therefore very convenient for commuting. However, the full size semi-open back headphones are more comfortable for many people, unless it's warm and the pads get sweaty.

It mainly depends on what you find convenient and what you like specifically in your music. Some people are very much into the microdetails and others more into soundstage. Of course it would be ideal to have both, but then the price and/or convenience for walking around change significantly too.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you for your reply, but i don't know if i want a head/earphone with a more detailed or a really spacialized sound. I'm not those TRU3 @UDI0PHIL3 who have some 800s or Focal Utopia in there closet because i can't afford multiple high-end headsets (or simply a single high-end headset) to see if i prefer larger soundstages or detailed sound :triportsad:

However, i have a question, what is the huge difference between the SE215 and the E80 ? (not physically) Is one that has a better quality/price ratio ?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 11
Both the SE215 and E80 are quality IEM's, the main difference being their treatment of the treble end of the spectrum. The SE215 has markedly rolled off treble, meaning, it is de-emphasized relative to the rest of the sonic spectrum. The E80 (which I have) somewhat emphasizes the treble. Some people find it to be a wee bit too much, others find it perfect. Detail-wise, I would say the SE215 and the E80 are about comparable.
One other in that price range that you ought to consider is the 1More Triple Driver. Smooth. Detailed. Nice instrument separation. A very nice IEM. Worth a look. FWiW. YMMV, of course.

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Do the 1More E1001 Triple Driver have good treble ? They look pretty interesting tho. If the SE215 have bad treble, it's a no go for me

Otherwise, the E80 looks interesting, if he have well-balanced treble.

Oh, and do Drivers have a huge impact on the sound quality ?

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Do the 1More E1001 Triple Driver have good treble ? They look pretty interesting tho. If the SE215 have bad treble, it's a no go for me

Otherwise, the E80 looks interesting, if he have well-balanced treble.

Oh, and do Drivers have a huge impact on the sound quality ?
The 1More have good treble but it is not as extended as the E80. If you like your treble, I would say the E80 might be your best bet. Not sure what you mean by drivers impacting sound quality. The drivers, whether dynamic or balanced armature or planar, are what produce the sound so, yeah, they have a huge impact on the sound. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 11
The C and S basically have inline mics with remote and universal phone support. The C has a few sets of Comply foam tips as well. The E80 is just the earphone without all the goodies. I believe that is about it. There may be some color differences as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back