AKG K240 MKII Classical Music???
Nov 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 64
I don't think I'm really that worried about the volume for these headphones. I just got a brand new laptop and i'm sure there will be enough power. What I'm really looking for is too make sure that the Classical music from my CDs will sound really good with these headphones. ????

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 64
Sorry, I can't really help you there; I'm using a receiver that my dad gave to me. I haven't researched amps.

Maybe other members could offer you tips on amps. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #23 of 64
Hello

I am listening classical music, and once I had same question like you, I ended up buying it and now after probably 5 month I can say:

1. On normal listening volume you can hear 60Hz-12kHz range, (I tested it on sine wire sound producing program) if you play 15Khz sound you will hear nothing :frowning2:
2. It performs awfully large orchestra and violin compositions :frowning2:
3. It could be good for solo Cello, Brass, and guitars. (if recording is good)
4. If you listen Jazz also performance exceeds expectations:)
5. I never owned such worst headphone for female opera songs

Burning helps (perhaps). Yes mid bass is not well defined and overpowered, Example: listening Carmen by Bizet you will notice that drums are somewhat not as it should be. Lot of people talking about need of amplification BUT my experiences are different if you have new Realtec onboard sound card you would not need AMP but it helps anyway. 

So if you have only 77-84 $$ it is normal headphone:) MalVeauX member of this community recommended me Audio-Technica TAD400/500 series, probably it is better but I never tried it myself.
I don't know what headphone you owned in past, so probably you will be disappointed on first listening experience. :)

Happy listening
Lumos

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:
Woah... I tested my pair using Audacity's sine generator, and I could hear 15khz fine... My hearing cuts off around 18khz though.

What amplitude you tested your pair? I tested it on -17 db, if you listening on 0db probably you hear 18khz, but no one listens music turning on maximum volume :)

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations like amps, to make them better for vocal performances?

Fiio E6 should be fine, don't bother to buy more expensive one. I would add my comment- indeed I am enjoying by listening them, many recording sounds fine:) 

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #28 of 64
I think this is too late, because you've already gotten the K240, but the AD700 fits your bill nicely in terms of pricing, and sound aspects. They are great for classical music. Available for $100 new, or $85 used on Amazon.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:
Do you have any recommendations like amps, to make them better for vocal performances?

They sound great for jazz vocalists, so I don't know why they'd be any worse for female operatic performances. Sarah Vaughan is amazing with them....Sinatra too, and the Beatles for some great male vocalists.  Anything with a low output impedance since they're fairly low impedance phones... 55ohms. The O2 amp is like $125 or so, and has almost 0 output impedance. Maybe the fiio e17? Not sure the output impedance of that one. They sound good out of my Sansa clip so they don't need powerful amplification. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #30 of 64
Quote:
Really Lumos? I thought you said the AKG K240 MKII were the worst headphones for female opera songs? So did the Fiio E6 make it better for female opera songs?

No amplifier could do any magic particularly to improve vocal performance, amp just helps you to equalize better and receive sound you like. Fiio e6 can handle treble boost so it helps little bit, don't expect much :)

Quote:
They sound great for jazz vocalists, so I don't know why they'd be any worse for female operatic performances. Sarah Vaughan is amazing with them....Sinatra too, and the Beatles for some great male vocalists.  Anything with a low output impedance since they're fairly low impedance phones... 55ohms. The O2 amp is like $125 or so, and has almost 0 output impedance. Maybe the fiio e17? Not sure the output impedance of that one. They sound good out of my Sansa clip so they don't need powerful amplification. 

Opera songs (both for male and female) have very high pitch sound peaks and immediately very low pitch accompany, which is unlike to vocal jazz. K240 have rolled off treble, 2-5 kHz are recessed... so vocal in opera lack sharpness when singer takes very high pitch sound. this not gonna happen while listening Sinatra or Beatles. Example: listen this songs and compare to other headphones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91rpv0ROwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdfoESK6qhU&feature=PlayList&p=E18663DFF7E3F73C&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=20

If you take AD700 you will notice that sharpness because AD700 have above 0 db amplitude on 1- 2 kHz, (also it causes shrilling problem for some other music)

It is my, ,,taste'' I like sharpness on opera songs when needed and I think it is close to real performance. similar argument applies about why Violin do not sound ,,right'' on K240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back