AKG K240 + Hunh?
Mar 21, 2005 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

filterpunk

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this is necessarily the right spot for this, but here goes.

I'm in need of a new pair of headphones for mixing/music production. My past experience with using headphones this way hasn't been too great - a pair of Sony MDR-V700's that I found uncomfortable, heavy, fatiguing, and overly bass-heavy.

So far, i'm fairly decided on the AKG K240M. Given their impedence, can anyone recommend a decent, relatively uncolored amp to pair 'em with that's around $300-$400 max? Would I possibly be better off going with the K240S (which I haven't been able to audition) or are these along the same lines w/ the Sony's when it comes to bass overkill?

- Erik
firstpostdontkillme

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 6
For your purpose, I'd recommend neither, nor - but something like the Beyerdynamic DT250/250 instead.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
For your purpose, I'd recommend neither, nor - but something like the Beyerdynamic DT250/250 instead.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Hrm, those actually do look quite comfortable. Nice and lightweight..
It's a bit more than I was hoping to spend (though a big tax return doesn't make it a real tough jump), but i'll see if I can find a local dealer for 'em.

Given the marketing on these, I get the impression i'll find many sympathetic ears here (no pun intended) when it comes to uncomfortable headphone experiences.

Mar 22, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 6
I think that you would be very happy with a pair of K240 Studio's and a PIMETA.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Have you ever heard the 240M's?? I'd look elsewhere, they're okay cans, but not exactly an audiophile's delight. The 240S is supposed to have addressed almost all of their shortcomings.

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melchior
Have you ever heard the 240M's?? I'd look elsewhere, they're okay cans, but not exactly an audiophile's delight. The 240S is supposed to have addressed almost all of their shortcomings.

Not directly.. I was hoping to try and give them a listen sometime this week, but music stores around here tend to keep a very small stock of headphones, so word-of-mouth is often the only option.

I hear mixed things between both, actually.. lack of bass on the 240M's, too much on the 240S, etc.

Ultimately, I just want a decent pair of headphones that translate my mixes relatively well (and without much coloration) and sit comfortably. If listening to them outright sounds terrible, I want it to be a reflection on what i've done, rather than indiscriminate coloration from another source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back