AKG K1k - No Bass?? What the hell are you talking about????
Jan 5, 2006 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pawlowski6132

Banned
So, I just got mine today and have gone through a number of CDs, mostly acoustics Jazz: I can't believe I didn't get rid of my HD650s sooner. I've never heard such beautiful, rich, full bass before. I can't understand why so many members commented about the lack of bass in these cans??????

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 11
I've had to post this way tooo many times lately but here you go. They k1k have plenty of bass impact and very good midbass. The "no bass" comments you see refer to the fact that they can produce very little (if any) bass under 40hz. Given not all that much music exists at frequencies that low, but enough of it does to make that lack of low bass bother some people.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 11
Congrats, I got mine today too. The bottom end is there, but it's not as powerful as I want it to be. But let me tell ya, these babies can sing, the dynamics are to die for. It's difficult to compare them to the K701's, which is in a totally different ball game. However, I can pit them against Grado's...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although at times, it's a bit bright. The amp I paired with it is new, gotta let it burn in. Going to give it a few weeks to settle, wish me luck.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
I've had to post this way tooo many times lately but here you go. They k1k have plenty of bass impact and very good midbass. The "no bass" comments you see refer to the fact that they can produce very little (if any) bass under 40hz. Given not all that much music exists at frequencies that low, but enough of it does to make that lack of low bass bother some people.

I hear ya. It must be my frame of reference. Prior, I was using HD650s with my 300b SET tube amp and, basically, thought they sucked (do these cans mate better with solid state?). Granted, I was comparing them to my prior system which was a speaker system (Von Schweikert VR4JRs) with phenomenal bass. Now, the K1ks with the same tube amp seem to present bass so much more powerfully and deeper than the HD650s!! Perhaps because the K1ks connect to the speaker terminals?? I don't think so though because in my amp, the headphone jack is not an op-amp, it is connected right to the transformers, just like the speaker terminals.

I don't know...I'm pretty stupid but, I do know whats I hears...

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 11
Don't get me wrong the k1k are fantastic phones and have more bass impact than just about every headphone but it does roll off pretty heavily at 40hz and down. Enjoy the k1k, you got them at the right time since they've been discontinued now.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Man its funny this thread started. I too was going to post this. I just got my Super T-amp and the combination is quite good. The issue that I'm having is I was using na M-Audio Transit as the DAC today. Ouch, this really takes away a lot of the dynamics and low-end grunt of the K1K. Tomorrow I'm going to try Apogee->Super T->K1K and hopefully post some impressions. This are extremely revealing headphones (just like my Q's).

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 11
That was my reaction when trying the K1000s also. They certainly have good bass down to the point at which they roll off -- 40hz.

Personally, I think that last octave 20-40hz is overrated, particularly for headphone listening where you miss the tactile impact of very low bass.

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
I just got my Super T-amp and the combination is quite good.

What makes it Super? Is it a modded unit?

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Cool... if I didn't already have a nice external PSU for my T-Amp I might consider that. As it stands I think I will be more likely to just mod the one I have as it puts out enough power to handle my Polk speakers with authority.

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 11
I have tested K1000 with test tones and the roll-off goes smoothly down from 55 Hz to 30 Hz. There was no sudden drop in volume from 40-35 Hz like with K501. K1000 had more bass at 35 Hz than K501.
I believe this better bass is because of my Krell KAV-500i amp that has a good damping factor with the K1000.

K1000 VS HD590

55 Hz = 0 dB

50 Hz = -1 dB

45 Hz = -2 dB

40 Hz = -4 dB

35 Hz = -7? dB

30 Hz = -12? dB

The lowest bass in my music collection is 'Chicane - Far From The Maddening Crowds' that hovers between 35-50 Hz on most tracks. Would I choose HD590 over K1000 at those frequencies? No!

K1000 at 40 Hz and above is clearly superior to HD590 even if it has a few dB lower volume.
HD590 barely wins at 35 Hz.
HD590 clearly wins at 30 Hz because of the subtle vibration is gives to my body, but I don't think this is even noticeable when listening to music.

Why sacrifice the frequencies between 40-20 000 Hz just to improve 5 Hz a little?
confused.gif
Just get a subwoofer like speaker users do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back