AKG-K1000 What to Look For/What to Avoid
Apr 14, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #16 of 20
but the guy mentioned headphone amplifiers that "CAN" drive the k1000

Quote:

The amplification requirements of a K1000 are closer to those of a loudspeaker than a headphone, thus speaker amps tend to work better.

haha it is all electronics my friend
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASTERTECH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the guy mentioned headphone amplifiers that "CAN" drive the k1000

There are very few dedicated "headphone amplifiers" that will adequately drive the K1000s. This is why most K1000 owners gravitate towards power amplifiers normally designed for speakers.

Choose carefully and enjoy!
k1000smile.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #18 of 20
The bass difference between mine is small and although there is one it's certainly nothing to write home about. I tested both sets today and there really isn't much in it. unless you do a direct comparison you probably wouldn't notice. I thought the difference was bigger before I had a proper listen but now, not so much, it's subtle and doesn't change the character one bit, they both sound glorious!
k1000smile.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #19 of 20
There are only two headphone amps I know of that can properly drive the K1000s. That is the Singlepower Extreme and the Dynahi. Unfortunately the Dynahi's sound signature is IMO not a good match for the K1000s at all. The Extreme's sound signature IMO complements the K1000s very well.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are only two headphone amps I know of that can properly drive the K1000s. That is the Singlepower Extreme and the Dynahi. Unfortunately the Dynahi's sound signature is IMO not a good match for the K1000s at all. The Extreme's sound signature IMO complements the K1000s very well.

I don't want to dispute what others have said about the necessity for a power amp for the K-1000, as I don't yet own a pair. What I can say is that besides PsychoZX I got information from another Head-fi member who is very knowledgable about the Extreme stating that he was, in fact, successfully running the K-1000 from an Extreme Platinum. So it appears that in the case of the Singlepower Extreme Platinum (my amp) that the K-1000s do just fine. Now I just need to find a good condition K-1000.

Ah, finally my upscaling startegy (from where I started which was at looking at a $400 amp) is paying off.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back