AKG K1000 vs Etymotic ER4P
Sep 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Patrick82

Banned
K1000 sound bright and harsh because the drivers give too much resolution which reveals problems in the system, using the tweaks ERS Paper and Magix dramatically increases the resolution which makes it sound smooth and warm. However, using those tweaks with ER4P has no effect whatsoever, I was expecting improvements and tweaked like crazy, it gave nothing. With a fully tweaked system the difference between ER4P and K1000 is HUGE! But without ERS Paper and Magix I prefer ER4P because it sounds synchronized while the K1000 sounds harsh and damaged.

To make K1000 sound synchronized you also need to let the drivers warm-up for 12 hours before listening. But for ER4P I couldn't hear a difference at all.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 26
Also, the Valhalla cable for ER4P didn't give any resolution improvements while the K1000 did. For ER4P it gave only the Valhalla sound signature.

l_435c395edfdd440d9f832cb0567c7ab4.jpg

l_dd034c3749b34b1ea6d97a35858de0e6.jpg

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 26
Just wonder how those Ety's, after re-cabling, doing as portable
biggrin.gif

Do you mean that you let K1000 play 12 hours long before you put them on? Why 12 hours?
If you want them warm and lush directly, get yourself an TrendsAudio T10.1 amp and no way you can get harsh or bright sound out of K1000
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K1000 play 12 hours long before you put them on? Why 12 hours?

It sounds edgy, empty and cold otherwise. After the K1000 warms up you get more bass, warmth and low-level detail. After I paused them for a few hours I got a headache from the brightness, the difference was so big. If you pause the music for 1 hour you need 1 hour of music to get the K1000 back. When they are completely cold you need 12 hours.

Quote:

If you want them warm and lush directly, get yourself an TrendsAudio T10.1 amp and no way you can get harsh or bright sound out of K1000
beerchug.gif

I have tried amps that added mud into the music to cover up the emptiness, but it was unbearable to listen.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 26
O.k. got that, never thought of such long warm up thing before, however, at least from your past threads, you was quite impressed with it without mention that, but maybe I am wrong. Did you change the system again

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds edgy, empty and cold otherwise. After the K1000 warms up you get more bass, warmth and low-level detail. After I paused them for a few hours I got a headache from the brightness, the difference was so big. If you pause the music for 1 hour you need 1 hour of music to get the K1000 back. When they are completely cold you need 12 hours.

I have tried amps that added mud into the music to cover up the emptiness, but it was unbearable to listen.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 26
I experimented with nine RGC-24 Ground Conditioners for the ER4P, the difference was HUGE, very silky and relaxing! Without the RGC-24 it sounded harsh and fatiguing.

My favorite tweaks used to be ERS Paper, Magix and RGC-24 Ground Conditioners. But now ERS Paper and Magix are gone. RGC-24 Ground Conditioner is the best tweak in audio, too bad I already sold two of them, now I need to buy them back.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

O.k. got that, never thought of such long warm up thing before, however, at least from your past threads, you was quite impressed with it without mention that, but maybe I am wrong. Did you change the system again?

With K1000 you can hear a daily difference when the DAC and amp are warming up during a 1 month period, after that it starts to stabilize. When you turn off the system for 1 second you need to start over.
Warm-up for the K1000 drivers doesn't have this problem, you pause music 1 second, you only need 1 second to get it back, you don't need to start over.

With my completed K1000 setup I didn't need to warm up the system or K1000 anymore because it was listenable from cold. When warmed up it was my dream headphone system.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 26
I googled the RGC-24 Ground Conditioner and it seems to be a piece of granite or something and a cable, and it costs $800?
*Head asplode*
Can't people make these themselves?

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 26
Headphones that you need to warm up for 12 hours before you can listen to them ? I think I'll stay down here in the shallow end of the pool, thanks .....

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones that you need to warm up for 12 hours before you can listen to them ? I think I'll stay down here in the shallow end of the pool, thanks .....

I take it you've never seen any of Patricks posts before?

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #14 of 26
OK - thanks for the heads up - another one for the 'ignore' list. Head-Fi really does attract all types.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back