AKG K1000 successor: Give me details!
Sep 28, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #106 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the quality of the headphone jack on the Cary ?

The headphone jack on the Cary 300SEI is one of the few ever on the market to be driven by 300B tubes. However, I found that the Cary's bass output, from both the headphone jack and the speaker terminals, was too distorted for such a revealing headphone as the K1000. The Cary's bass is often described as "loose" or "flabby", although its midrange is spectacular.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #107 of 114
Thanks. There are a few other models that could drive both the K1000 and other headphones.

The Manley Neo-Classic is nice but the price is steep. The Woo Audio 5 has had very good reviews, and the price is more reasonable.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #108 of 114
“I thought the R10 sold for $4K, now around $5K, doubled in price?”

You’re talking MSRP. Retail Price is what counts. This is from the Unsellable L3000 thread:

“The MSRP price for the R-10 while it was still available brand new was $3,999.99 USD, at that time I got a quote from EILF selling it for $2400.00 new, and I was so stupid that let it go...

Of course at that time, a used pair could be purchased for under $2000.00...“

“Tell that to foo_me (sp?) who sold his HE-90 set up in favor of a K1000 set up with no regrets”

That’s 1 person not a trend. If the K1000 could compete or beat the HE90’s at ½ the price or less I think there’d be more people moving in that direction but I just don’t see it. I did qualify my statement by saying “The HE90’s / Aristaeus do it best.“.

Mitch

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #109 of 114
After having both an es1/he90 and a k1000/zanden side by side...there was a veil with the he90s so when it comes to "out-of-the-head" sound, the k1000s did beat He90s.

Perhaps alot of it is due to personal taste.
The he90s have an initial wow factor, but tended to get a little boring after a while. Then after a period of not listening, you listen again and get wowed again. For me, it didn't get me involved in the music as the k1000s does. I could always listen to the k1000s.

THe common saying is correct i think...it does alot of things very well...but nothing the best, while the k1000s did soundstage, detail, and overall sense of impact the best. Since i listen to alot of classical, opera, and accoustic music, the k1000s always sounded better to me for the music i listen to.

The only thing that I liked other headphones for are the intimitate vocals such as pop songs or ballads etc where I wanted the music to be inside my head...for that, I have other headphones like the RS1 or HD600 or even the UE11.

As far as why more people don't go all out for the k1000s...think that's still a possibility as more and more people buy amps for it. It's only been in the past year when Nik started matching the k1000s with 300b power amps that people have been able to hear the k1000s to their potential while the he90s have been around for a while. And those that grow to appreciate the k1000s will not necessarily just sell the he90s...they both offer different sounds and can complement each other. I am not a headphone collector so I prefer to just have 1 main system.

I still don't regret not having the he90s...e-stats are just not my cup of tea i suppose.
(1 caveat...i haven't heard it with neil's es2 so who knows...)

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #111 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And those that grow to appreciate the k1000s will not necessarily just sell the he90s...

Those who own have the means to own an HE90 can easily add a trinket like the K1000!

I've been listening to the K1000 with an Audion Silver Night MK1 300B tubes and WOW. I never thought that its soundstage depth was this spectacular and realistic. 300B is indeed amazing, but I'm not sure about mid-bass and deep-bass
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #112 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

“Tell that to foo_me (sp?) who sold his HE-90 set up in favor of a K1000 set up with no regrets”

That’s 1 person not a trend. If the K1000 could compete or beat the HE90’s at ½ the price or less I think there’d be more people moving in that direction but I just don’t see it.

That's 2.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #113 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How soon we forget. Sony already has a wide open "earspeaker" on the market, the MDR-F1

That's interesting - - I was unaware of that Sony model. Maybe the PFR-V1 (if higher price is any indication) will be more ambitious sonically.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #114 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those who own have the means to own an HE90 can easily add a trinket like the K1000!

I've been listening to the K1000 with an Audion Silver Night MK1 300B tubes and WOW. I never thought that its soundstage depth was this spectacular and realistic. 300B is indeed amazing, but I'm not sure about mid-bass and deep-bass
wink.gif

True, deep bass is mostly a bit of a problem with tubes. But, if the powersupply is right and the 300B tubes are driven by the right tubes, like the best 6sn7's, they can have as much visceral bass or as deep and tight as any transistor amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back