AKG K1000 successor: Give me details!
Sep 24, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #77 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, according to Nik's findings, you have a k1000 with less bass! You could tweak this with the tubes in your amplifier, a new amplifier or with a different source. You also could do this with IC's or powercables but i think tubes, amp and source have bigger effect.

Please keep in mind that this is Nik's opinion, not absolute fact. I've owned several K1000 units, one much older and recent build, and I personally heard no difference.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #78 of 114
What about the B22 or the firstwatt for the k1k's? I had the pleasure of finishing one up recently for a friend... For the price both are quite impressive... although I've yet to hear it with a high-end tube amplifier. Threads like this make me really want to reconstruct my firstwatt so the k1k's don't sit in a box any longer.

My short listening session with the b22 showed that the k1k's have plenty of bass, although I'm not really a bass head...

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #79 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please keep in mind that this is Nik's opinion, not absolute fact. I've owned several K1000 units, one much older and recent build, and I personally heard no difference.

I know him well enough to believe what he is saying! His system might be more revealing then yours.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

So, according to Nik's findings, you have a k1000 with less bass! You could tweak this with the tubes in your amplifier, a new amplifier or with a different source. You also could do this with IC's or powercables but i think tubes, amp and source have bigger effect.

It's not the bass (or lack thereof) that bothers me. It's the brightness (I'm using a Sugden A21a SS amp, supposedly a "tube-like" amp). Haven't had a tube amplifier since the 1970s - - it was a 7.5 wpc Dynaco integrated* (with tone controls, of course) driving AR-4a speakers. The source was an AR turntable. I also used a $20.00 pair of Sennheiser headphones - - they had fat foam earpads resting on top of the ears. I could listen for hours and hours. . .

If I do go with tubes, it'll probably be something at the price-level of a Prima Luna or Sophia Baby.

*Wish I still had it!

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #81 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wich SN is your K1000? This is also important, not all the K1000 have a full bass as other have. The less bass K1000 I found was the 10xxxx series.

The most indicated 300B amp I 'd think for your brightness K1000 is the Cary SEI with WE 300B and Sylvania 6sn7 as drivers.

What is the quality of the headphone jack on the Cary ?

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #82 of 114
Headphone jack ??? Why do you whant to listen half-K1000 ??? The only way to have the best from a K1000 is to adopt the speakers outputs, no story !!!

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #84 of 114
Quote:

Headphone jack ??? Why do you whant to listen half-K1000 ??? The only way to have the best from a K1000 is to adopt the speakers outputs, no story !!!

I know why; you have more power at your disposal then via the headphone section, no question about that!
cool.gif
wink.gif

So, logically that way should sound considderably better.

If they talk about the k1000, they speak about ear speakers, not headphones.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #85 of 114
Quote:

I know why; you have more power at your disposal then via the headphone section, no question about that!
cool.gif
wink.gif

So, logically that way should sound considderably better.

If they talk about the k1000, they speak about ear speakers, not headphones.

...and you have a balanced K1000 via speaker outputs...

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #86 of 114
Quote:

I know him well enough to believe what he is saying! His system might be more revealing then yours.

Based on this line of reasoning, those of us who don't have $20K sources and amps don't have to worry about the reported sound quality differences between newer and older K1000s because our G08 and Aleph 30 aren't revealing enough
k1000smile.gif

If that's the case, then I'm a happy camper.

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #87 of 114
I don't think so... you can hear the difference between K1000 series with any setup, may be, my K1000 sound so good in my setup and not in your... but differemce all can hear.

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #88 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on this line of reasoning, those of us who don't have $20K sources and amps don't have to worry about the reported sound quality differences between newer and older K1000s because our G08 and Aleph 30 aren't revealing enough
k1000smile.gif

If that's the case, then I'm a happy camper.

in the case you think a 3k source sounds the same as a 20k source, yes, you're save. Any other person, like me that thinks OR even knows that the 20k source sounds considderably better, i am sure you'll hear differences much easier, especially combined with very good amp and Nik has a very good amp.
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #89 of 114
Quote:

...and you have a balanced K1000 via speaker outputs...

No k1000 but hd650 with a completely modded amp. The hd650 is very simular in respect to power. The hd650 does need, as the k1000's do, an amp that can drive these phones well. You need a powerfull amp!

It is common knowledge, that the k1000 sounds much better with amps that can drive speakers 8-10 watts then a headphone amp having an output of max. 1 watt!

You can read this in threads on head-fi.
wink.gif

And i am certain that your amp has more output on the speaker terminals then on your headphone socket!

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #90 of 114
I currently have the K1000 and the HE90’s. The ultimate derivative of the K1000 (to me) would be an Electrostatic panel assembled the way the K1000 is. It could be the best of both worlds.

The K1000’s seem to be able to achieve what the HE90’s do effortlessly.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back