AKG K1000 replacement
May 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Papi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for an advice : I'm thinking about replacing my AKG K1000. I'm still impressed by the sound it delivers, but rarely listen to it. I'm mostly using my Sennheiser HD 545 which is far away from the K1000, but more convenient.

By that I mean that I can use the HD 545 on my digital piano or other equipments without moving the amp, it's also more easy to wear. I also have less time to enjoy music in a silent environment, which in my opinion is required for that AKG K1000, it's not really an "everyday headphone". Little thing I disliked about the K1000 is that its "wow" effect is very variable depending on the music I'm listening to. It's not a question of genre of music, or recording quality to me, it's something else. Sometime I thought a musical piece would be awesome on the AKG K1000, and was a bit deceived by the result.

Anyway, I'm not posting to bash on the K1000, I think it's really an outstanding piece, but I realize also I just seldom use it. So I'm thinking of selling it, and replace it with something of equivalent quality, but more convenient. I realize "equivalent quality" doesn't mean much, and probably will loose much in soundstage for exemple, but I'd like something better that the HD 545. I have no real constraint, other that it should work with low powered source. I'm planning to keep my amp (audiovalve mk II), so if it does way better with an amp, it's fine, I just want to use it from time to time on my digital piano for exemple.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back