AKG K1000 purchase. What to look for?
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Davidzak64

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'll be buying a pair of K1000's tomorrow. I'm getting a sweet deal on them $250. I don't have a balanced amp to test them with. They may come with an adaptor so I'll be bringing a small headphone amp for testing. They appear to be in excellent condition. I'll be traveling 7 hours to get them. Is there an balanced to 1/4" adaptor of some sort that I can pick up or a DB box? Is there anything I should look out for when I'm purchasing them? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Screenshot_20220206-181714_Facebook.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Listen carefully! If you're unaware some pairs suffer from the infamous ''rattle'' as described here for example:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/k1000-and-rattle.521197/

For $250 you might be able to live with it or with a bit of luck do some sort of repair. Excellent if they're mint.
I don't know if I'll be able to listen to them without an adapter. Do you think $250 is too much if they don't work? Do you think I'll be able to get my $ back selling them for parts or repair if they are not working?

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 10
I don't know if I'll be able to listen to them without an adapter. Do you think $250 is too much if they don't work? Do you think I'll be able to get my $ back selling them for parts or repair if they are not working?

If listening at seller's is not an option consider visiting some local audio store before purchasing? Or try to make a reasonable 'return' agreement in case of defects.
It's a gamble to blindly pay $250 not knowing anything, but depending on condition I would say very possible to get back most of that amount for the parts.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Mission accomplished! One near mint condition pair of beautiful sounding K1000's in my possession. Wow!
They came with the adapter cable. I hooked them up to the speaker outputs of my Luxman R-113 and a wonderful marriage has been consummated.😀 I'm in the process of evaluating them right now and so far I'm very very pleased. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It was a long drive but well worth it.

It's been a great year for HP'S so far.
My mint K340'S for $60
Now the K1000's walk in well under budget.

How much power can these things handle? The Luxman is rated for 35 watts @ 8 Ohms.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back