AKG K-81 or Sennheiser HD 485 ... Decisions -> Help Me Out
Apr 13, 2006 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zero_99

100+ Head-Fier
So I have ~$100 CAD to spend ... and I think I've narrowed it down to these 2 headphones. Basically I want a pair of headphones to be a step up from the Koss KSC-75's I currently own.

These headphones I get will mainly be used unamped from a SB Audigy on my PC, and maybe perhaps out of my MP3 player if they're easy enough to drive.

I listen mainly to: Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, & Trance the majority of the time. While I occasionally listen to some other genre's as well. I think I would prefer having some extra bass present though.
basshead.gif

I realize the K-81's are Closed, and the HD 485 are Open, but I'm not really concerned about their isolation. Which headphones would be better to buy in terms of sound quality and comfort? Or should I be perhaps looking at something else instead?

On a side note:
Anyone know of any good Canadian retailers online to buy either of these models? Or perhaps something local in Toronto?

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 15
hd485 should be great for your music. They are also extremely easy to drive. Haven't heard the akgs but they should be a good alternative but a little harder to drive. The senns should be more comfortable since they are circumaural, unless your ears are really big in which you might prefer the supraural of the akgs. The cups on the senns are a little smaller than other senns (5xx-6xx) so they might crowd the ears a little but the discomfort should be gone with use and maybe a wash.

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 15
If you can save a small bit more i would go with a set of Audio Technia A500 instead of the HD485.Having owned both the A500 is without doubt the better can , plus the HD485 has some pretty bad comfort issues IMO,the A500 on the other hand is like a pillow.Sound wise the A500 has way better Bass ,better highs although the mids can be slighlty recessed its still a better presentation than the HD485.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 15
I just checked out some pictures of the ATH-A500 online. They look quite huge, and personally I hate those auto-adjusting type headbands. I find them incredibly annoying, as you can't rest the headphones around your neck comfortably.

I was originally sort of leaning towards the K-81's, as I saw some Canadian retailers to order from online. While with the HD485's I haven't really seen anywhere to buy in Canada. So I would probably either have to order from the States, or from Ebay. And I don't really want to get screwed with duties if I order from outside Canada.

But the HD485's do 'look' more comfy. Anyone heard both of these headphones?

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah the A500 is pretty huge alright lol.The HD485 is not a can to throw around your neck either ,its alot bulkier than it looks in the photos and the clamping force is very strong.I am also looking at the AKG K-81,its got pretty good reviews from other head-fi members and it looks well built and pretty portable too.

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 15
I haven't heard the 485's (or any other Senn headphone for that matter), but I recently picked up a pair of K81's (upgrading from KSC75) and absolutely love them. They sound excellent for their price, isolate well, and provide a nice extra bass-kick. I'm a bit of a bass-head myself and these cans just make me so damn happy. The only issues you may have with them are as follows:

-they are quite compact. the cups themselves are a decent size, but the headband is pretty small. It does extend 10 notches on either side, but they are small notches, and I find myself fully extending them to get a perfect fit. And my head is pretty small.

-they're a snug phone. some people like that, some people don't.

for 80$ (from axemusic.com), I could not be happier. They may be 'harder' to drive than a lot of other phones, but I can listen to them straight out of my 5g Ipod on a busy downtown-toronto street and not have any issues at all. You should also note that they don't greatly improve with an amp...it's been reported the only noticeable difference has been with the soundstage, and a small difference at that.

On top of all this, they are super sexy:
portable1.jpg

Again, I haven't heard the Senn's, but if you're noggin ain't too large and you like a snug-fitting phone, I can almost gaurantee you will love these cans.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 15
I also agree for the K-81s... bassheads cannot be deceived by these, especially for their price... I<ve been using them for the past month on my Iaudio X5 and on the comupter also, and they sound great. The isolation is very good, which is amazing for portable use and the office. The bass is more soft round and mellow then on my old senns... just my 2 cents.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 15
I would get the 485 if you're a basshead. They seem to be made for that kind of music. They're also very comfortable, and apparently easier to drive than the K81.

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 15
Hey, Im in Toronto too, the cheapest place that I found the 81 Djs shipped was from todd the vinyl junkie, they came to a total of $81.50 USD shipped. they are also sponsers of this site.

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89
If you can save a small bit more i would go with a set of Audio Technia A500 instead of the HD485.Having owned both the A500 is without doubt the better can , plus the HD485 has some pretty bad comfort issues IMO,the A500 on the other hand is like a pillow.Sound wise the A500 has way better Bass ,better highs although the mids can be slighlty recessed its still a better presentation than the HD485.

And then comes the k81DJ...Some people even prefer them to the a700 that cost much more

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 15
Heh ... so I think I'm still stuck where I was before. But I'm thinking whichever I buy, I shouldn't be disappointed either way. Win-Win situation.
cool.gif

I'm thinking I'll probably just order the K-81's though, since I found 2 Canadian places that sell em': axemusic.com & tomleemusic.ca -> both for ~$80 CAD + whatever shipping is. And, I have yet to find anywhere in Canada which sell's the 485's. The AKG's are probably cheaper anyhow ... so I guess that'll be easier on my wallet.
biggrin.gif

Highlights of each so far to me, looks like:
Sennheiser HD 485's
+ Easier to drive
+ More comfy?
- No where in Canada to buy online?
- Costs slightly more

AKG K-81's
+ Easier to get in Canada
+ Thus cheaper too
+ Better isolation (Although this personally doesn't matter to me)

Both have decent bass -> with the edge maybe to the HD 485's?

In terms of sound quality ... I guess that's still up in the air. But would I be safe to assume that the: build quality / sound quality of each of these headphones are somewhat similiar/comparable. Isolation and leakage being what really sets these two apart?

I'm guessing ... no one owns or has heard both though? Thanks for all the thoughts and help thus far!

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't think the "warm' sens would do rap and R&B justice. THe AKGs are right for you.

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for all the input guys! I just placed an order for the K-81's.

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 15
Havnt heard the K81 but i might be buying a pair hear shortly for my ipod.. maybe..

Anyways, I own the 485, very happy with them. I listen to mostly rock/techno, and they sound great, although slightly dark(which i prefere anyways) Very bassy.

I do however find my nano has a hard time getting much bass out of them, thats the only reason im looking for some other headphones for portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back