AKG K-81 DJ or Altec Lansing iM716?
May 17, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #16 of 20
Get the 81DJ and get something else for your workouts, like the KSC75. Or, even better, something "disposable" that you don't mind throwing away once the sweat/salt shorts them out. Airline headphones are good for that.

May 17, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #17 of 20
I'm presently "renting" a pair of Shure E2c IEMs and got my K81DJs in about two weeks ago. From my experience, excersing with the Shures stuck in my ear wasn't all that pleasant. IEMs have a nice habit of amplifying every weird internal noise you were never aware your body made. This also means every step you take sounds reverberates pretty loud. Eating/drinking and listening with them is pretty much nill. I found the Shures to be great if I was sitting pretty much perfectly still and wanted to completely drown out the outside world, but when I did any kind of movement, they grew wearisome. Maybe that's something you "get over" with IEMs, I just know I couldn't for those particular applications.

That said, I don't think the K81DJs would be good workout cans either. They're too big, the pads would make your ears sweat like crazy, and I don't make enough to afford to break 'em.
icon10.gif
No, my workout headphones of choice are presently the infamous Koss KSC-75s. They sound amazing for the price, but on the same page you won't cry if you lose them/break them/whatever and you can afford to have a few "backups". The clip doesn't bother me for 30 to 1 hour workout sessions, you can still talk to others when you need to, but they can crank up loud enough to easily block out most noises. I find they work really well in this regard. Bare in mind this is all coming from a Head-fi noob. Hope it helped some.

May 18, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #18 of 20
Wow, great responses..

I own a pair of the KCS-75's and I think I might just use these working out in that case, seems like some good workout cans. Alright then, we can put working out aside, now its just on to every other use.. I have had a pair of IEMs and I can honestly say that I dont mind the microphonics that it amplifies, even though it may be a little pain in the ass to eat while listening..

I think that when I am listening to music, I will likely just want to set myself aside from other things, if I really wanted to have a conversation, I could take them out for a little bit, doesnt seem like too much of a hassle. Also, I tend to listen to music loud, IEM's keep that all inside, only problem is when people are calling your name
etysmile.gif

May 18, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 20
really, I hated the microphonics, it totally distracted me from the music, If you don't intend to work out with your new phones, I would definately go for the AKG 81s, you won't be sorry. the akgs isolate quite a bit people will have to talk quite loudly right near you for you to hear them.

May 18, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #20 of 20
Here is the most logical thing:

Work-out: KSC75

Easy on-the-go listening (cafe, etc.): AKG81

Everything else: Senn. Orpheus
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was kidding about the last one, but all other are very logical imho in terms of sound isolation and the SQ for that given point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back