AKG K 7XX review
Apr 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FULLAUDIO

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, recently i bought a new headphone: the AKG K 7XX (RED) and i wanted to share my impressions on these.
(I apologize for my bad english)
I am no audiophile but i like high quality headphones because i love music and i want my music to sound natural and accurate.
So to speak... these are not the most natural or the most accurate headphones i have ever had... more in the review.

My main cans before these were: AKG K 612 and i have heard AKG K 701 (later version), K 240 sextett, K240 , senn HD 600, senn HD 598, beyer DT 880 and so on... so i have quite a headphone history behind me :D.

I will be mainly comparing them to my last everyday headphone which was K612.

Everything that i write is my personal feeling and preference.

AKG K 7XX:
_______
Comfort: 
I find them a little more comfortable than my old K 612 (probably because of the amazing annie pads :)). 
They seem a tiny little bit heavier, but they have way better head strap. 
Even though i never had problems with K 612 strap these would probably be more comfortable on bigger heads than the K 612. 
They have huge earcups so i think these would fit even the biggest ears.
There is not much to say... they are really, really comfortable :).
On touch the K 7XX feels a bit better build than the K 612.
The K 612 have much stiffer headstrap than K 7XX. The K 7XX headstrap feels quite a bit pricier.

My first impressions:

lots of bass... but, to my surprise it was not what i was expecting based on what i heard from other people.
The bass was not the only thing that caught my attention,the second thing i noticed was that the treble and mids were not as bloated or veiled as i thought they would be with this kind of bass amount. They sounded clear and prominent to me. 
the only thing that i noticed that is a little bit less refined or affected by the bass is i think the lower mids but its just a tad bit.
Another thing that hit me was the soundstage... these have a big soundstage....
they are not as open as the K 612.... you feel little bit more like listening to your music in a club.... at least that is the first word that comes to me when coming from the K 612...
but every little sound has its place and space...
After a couple songs it was quite clear to me that these did not lose the akg signature(which i love :D).
It was only tamed... 

After quite a bit of time listening to them they are probably the most universal headphone i ever had.... anything you throw at them sounds surprisingly good.
I just cant say anything against the way they sound for the price... they are like a hybrid between K 701 and HD 600 with bass boost... if i remember them right :D
The bass, even though it is heavy... sounds perfectly tight when it needs to... it goes deep and has a good punch.
The mids even though a little bit suffering from the bass boost are no less prominent or articulate than my K 612, the mids just sound right...
Treble is tamed although a little artificial sounding.The treble is not veiled at all, it still sounds like AKG headphone... its just smoother.
They are warmer sounding, and i find them more relaxing than DT 880 or  K 701 from what i can remember :).

if i would have to describe them by some song it would probably be: Three little birds by bob marley. :D

_________
Conclusion:
They are now my favorite sounding headphone and i wont be leaving them soon.
I would recommend them to anyone... they are universal and the sound is without doubt worth the money... i would say even worth quite a bit more than 200 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back