AKG K 702 just arrived
Oct 9, 2008 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sanne

100+ Head-Fier
Picked these up for brand new for $399 on ebay with $120 cashback from Microsoft Live.

Packaging was simple and no nonsense. The headphones are simply beautiful. They are not blue at all, more of a light black color if anything.

Comfort wise they feel great. The automagic adjusting headband is a wonderful change from the Senn. 600's I used to have. I listened for 2 hrs today with no discomfort at all.

How do they sound? My Stello HP100/DA100 combo is on the way, so for now I'm only using my laptop's line out. I am pleasantly surprised at how good they sound with only my laptop powering them. That's all I will say for now. Will give an updated review with lots of pictures when all of my equipment arrives and I have a chance ot properly burn them in.

Update 10/14/08

All the equipment is here now. I have not had a chance to properly burn in anything so I will hold my thoughts for now.

dscf0522gz8.jpg

dscf0523ar1.jpg

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 15
Very good price. It really makes me envy.

BTW, the pics on the official website are not the true face of the gear, but somewhat glorified.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 15
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

The K702 looks quite nice imo.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 15
I like my k702s.
smily_headphones1.gif
You're right - after all the head-fi talk I heard about how hard they are to drive, I expected the worst from my laptop lineout.

They sounded great! Gave me the same sparkle that my grados do, but with a more airy/smoother midrange and low end.

I hooked them up to a fubar ii dac and a musical fidelity x-can v3, and they sounded even better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 15
Just got my pair of K702s from the same source as the OP.

I only have very limited experience with the 701s but these are much more comfortable. For me, the 701s weren't long enough. I could not expand the headband enough to get the ear pads around my ears. The bottom of the pads would sit on top of my earlobes. Not with the K702s: the pads easily go all the way around my ears.

They sound pretty darn good, too.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the K702 cable looks thicker than the k271 cable - is this true?

No, it is the same cable and the same part number from AKG. But I am almost sure K702 cable just a little stiffer, may be because it's new or something changed in manufacturing process, don't know. Can't tell any sonic difference switching between the two.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 15
More pics?
k701smile.gif

I'm eager to pay $100 for a detachable cable.
(seriously I beat the f@#k out of headphones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back