AKG K 701 vs. SR 225
Sep 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Shadowboxer

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have the SR80's with a Corda Move amp. I was planning on getting the SR225's, but have started reading up on the AKG K 701. I know they are a different price point, but I don't like the SR325i's, and I see on the web you can get the AKG's for $250 or so.

All that being said, does anyone have direct experience with the SR225's vs. the AKG K 701? This isn't a 'which one should I buy thread', but rather a thread seeking detailed and articulate explanations on the differences between the two.

For the record, I listen to everything from Holly Cole to DJ Tiesto. I am looking for a MUSICAL headphone, not an analytical one. In my book, 'more detailed' isn't necessarily going to get my foot tappin' to the music.

Thank you!

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 12
I have very direct experience with both.

K701:
- Extended treble
- Silky, with fine soundstage
- Strong "all-around" headphone
- Some find it "clinical" (I don't)
- Good bass, but not for jazz or electronica
- Long, long breakin period

SR225:
- Pleasing instrumental separation
- Rich, balanced bass
- Well-suited for rock, less so for classical/instrumental; quite lively
- Attractive sound, but not scintillating

Both profit from ampage, but the K701 more so. I find the K701 closer to a studio monitor, the SR225 closer to a "fun" sound.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 12
I agree with spinali's breakdown and will add that the Grado sound is much more upfront and lacking soundstage especially in comparison to the K701s.

The SR225s are really a terrific headphone. They were my first Grados and eventually led me to my RS-1s. Judging from what you said in your post, my guess is you will be more satisfied with the Grados than the AKGs. Though having both of them is a nice complimentary set of headphones.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 12
I guess the next question will be: what amp pairs well with each of the aforementioned headphones?

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 12
Let me throw you in a different direction by recommending the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000. Sure it's expensive ($500). But if you want a do-it-all headphone that's also musical, I don't think either the SR225 or K701 is going to satisfy you. Neither headphone works particularly well for electronica (while the AD2000 does). And while the SR225 is certainly more engaging than the K701 its genre adaptability is quite limited.

The lower models in the Audio-Technica ATH-AD line - 700, 900 - are reputed to have a similar sound but I haven't heard those.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 12
I like my SOHA with my 225's. I know it is probably not the best amp out there but with the right tube it sounds pretty darn good. I am using an amperex orange globe made by mullard and this thing really sings. I love it.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All,

I have the SR80's with a Corda Move amp. I was planning on getting the SR225's, but have started reading up on the AKG K 701. I know they are a different price point, but I don't like the SR325i's, and I see on the web you can get the AKG's for $250 or so.

All that being said, does anyone have direct experience with the SR225's vs. the AKG K 701? This isn't a 'which one should I buy thread', but rather a thread seeking detailed and articulate explanations on the differences between the two.

For the record, I listen to everything from Holly Cole to DJ Tiesto. I am looking for a MUSICAL headphone, not an analytical one. In my book, 'more detailed' isn't necessarily going to get my foot tappin' to the music.

Thank you!

I have owned both 225s and k701s for extended periods both phones. I currently own 325i's and RS1's.

The magic of the K701's wore off on me quickly, and I did own a pair and the 225's at the same time. The 701's do tend to get a little thin-sounding although the sense of space between the instruments is pretty good.

I recommend 225's wholeheartedly. They truly are incredibly fun, very well detailed at the same time and make you feel like you are onstage with the band. They do this while keeping the instruments distinct from each other. Granted, you don't feel like you are standing on a 100-foor wide stage, but it does feel like rock-n-roll.

I don't think you can do better for $150-$200.

I also happen to know that Spearit Sound in Boston has a pair of demos on sale for $150- if you are interested.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have very direct experience with both.

K701:
- Extended treble
- Silky, with fine soundstage
- Strong "all-around" headphone
- Some find it "clinical" (I don't)
- Good bass, but not for jazz or electronica
- Long, long breakin period

SR225:
- Pleasing instrumental separation
- Rich, balanced bass
- Well-suited for rock, less so for classical/instrumental; quite lively
- Attractive sound, but not scintillating

Both profit from ampage, but the K701 more so. I find the K701 closer to a studio monitor, the SR225 closer to a "fun" sound.

I guess it all depends on whether you want a fun can or a boring can.I find neutral cans boring. That is why I sold my hd580's. Not to say they are the most analyical either. But.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 12
My SR225s sound great with my new darkvoice 336i, but i havent heard many other amps with the grados (and for now, i like my HD650s better)

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Guys;

THANK YOU-you rock! You provided exactly the info I was hoping for. 225's it is for me! On Headroom, they make is sound like the 701's smoke the 225's.

I moved to Dallas from Boston, and I don't know of any Dallas Grado dealers. I'll probably order the 225's from Todd at TTVJ - I've always had first-class customer service from Todd, so he gets my business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back