AKG K-701 -> Are there any "similar" Closed Cans??
May 20, 2008 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JC_Denton

New Head-Fier
Greetings to all head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I have recently bought my AKG K-701 headphones, "burned" them and I can say that I am quite excited by the way they sound. My musical/acoustic experience has changed significantly, making me a true lover of good quality headphones.

The thing is though, that I enjoy listening to music late at night and the AKGs, being open, really sound loud in the house.

So, the question is rather simple - Are there any Closed Headphones, with the capability of sounding kinda like the K-701s do? I mean, will they have the large soundstage, the deep and detailed bass, the perfect clarity and monitoring sound, of the AKGs?

If yes, which are they?

The price range I am talking about is between 300-500$ in retail, though of course I will be buying them probably from eBay (got my AKGs for 190€ when in Greece they cost more than 380€).

The music I like listening to is...erh..:

Rock/Metal (+Progressive and Symphonic Metal)/Jazz/Blues/Funk/Psychedelic Trance (Deedrah, Infected Mushroom and the like)/Drum n Bass/Ambient/Electronica/Classical/Orchestral

biggrin.gif
A big variety as you can see
smily_headphones1.gif

I am waiting for your counsel
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 16
so closed 'phones with neutrality and big soundstage?

hmmmm....
First thing that came into my mind was W5000, but they do sound different from K701s...

I'll wait for another response, as it's been a while since I had a listen to W5000s..

May 20, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Wow, thanks for the faster-than-his-own-shadow-answer
luckylukecl8.jpg

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I know this is a hard quest and I can't stop thinking that I am doing it the wrong way. I keep saying to myself to start looking for a pair of good quality closed-cans rather than trying to find the equivalent of the AKGs.

On the other hand though...I really enjoy listening to rock/metal and thinking that the band is playing in front of me...

I am listening to Jazz and I can imagine myself in a jazz club. Classical/Orchestral? I think that I am not in the front row, I am next to Herbert von Karajan...

Will I have this feeling with closed cans? If no, what are the characteristics in which closed cans excel?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 16
well... W5000 over K701 in a heartbeat for me.

I suggest you stay with K701s for classical music and get a pair of grados for rock, that way, it'll be nice compliment to each other.

W5000 may have slightly smaller soundstage than K701s, but they are detail monsters IMO. that combined with neutrality of the phone and quickness, makes it excellent choice for classical music. For rock, I didn't like either K701 or W5000s too much.

AD2000 are virtual all-rounders, and I haven't found a genre that they don't do well. Try to audition a pair - I'm loving mine
wink.gif

btw, why do they have to be closed? - you could always close your door
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 16
D5000 have a great soundstage. They are closed but leak sound a bit for sure.

May 21, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well... W5000 over K701 in a heartbeat for me.

I suggest you stay with K701s for classical music and get a pair of grados for rock, that way, it'll be nice compliment to each other.

W5000 may have slightly smaller soundstage than K701s, but they are detail monsters IMO. that combined with neutrality of the phone and quickness, makes it excellent choice for classical music. For rock, I didn't like either K701 or W5000s too much.

AD2000 are virtual all-rounders, and I haven't found a genre that they don't do well. Try to audition a pair - I'm loving mine
wink.gif

I might sound somelike weird, but I really enjoy this "deep", controlled and detailed bass the AKGs have. They are certainly not "subwoofer-ish", but that's what I like. That is mainly why, I enjoy them in almost every music I listen (+rock). They provide clarity, excellent mids and very good treble, at least in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, NO DOUBT about it, they excel WAY TOO MUCH in classical and orchestral in my opinion, because of their great soundstage and their mids - I've just finished listening to Verdi's Il Trovatore and I can't find any flaws in them...
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the W5000, I have heard many people praising them, along with the D5000 from Denon. I would really want to try them, I am really curious
biggrin.gif

Quote:

btw, why do they have to be closed? - you could always close your door
smily_headphones1.gif

It is quite strange, but the house, although having great noise reduction/isolation on the floor/ceiling, has PAPER doors. The bedroom doors are very close and the sound from the AKGs, especially when I amp them, is like having a radio playing in the house...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica is prolly your best best besides a custom creation.

Custom Creation meaning Darth Beyers or sth else?
biggrin.gif

I have seen many good opinions about the Darths, but at the same time, I have heard that, if you don't go to the "upper" level, spending A LOT of money, they don't sound THAT good....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D5000 have a great soundstage. They are closed but leak sound a bit for sure.

I "know", I am currently reading the threads about them. They seem very nice ones, I hope they control the bass though. I don't mind if they produce loud bass, I want them to produce controlled bass
wink.gif

By searching the TONS of data in the forum
redface.gif
I seem to have these cans in my mind:

Audio Technica W5000 - Denon AH-D5000 (400-500$)
Denon AH-D2000 (200-250$)
Beyerdynamics DT-??? "Darth Beyered" (unknown price, need more info on the subject
biggrin.gif
)

May 21, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 16
Currently only the "famous" ZERO, with OPA627BPs on it - big difference compared to the stock or the LM4562 I've tried.

In the future, I consider buying a DarkVoice (332/337) or a WooAudio and turning the ZERO into a pre-amp for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and the source is the ASUS Xonar D2X
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JC_Denton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is quite strange, but the house, although having great noise reduction/isolation on the floor/ceiling, has PAPER doors. The bedroom doors are very close and the sound from the AKGs, especially when I amp them, is like having a radio playing in the house...
frown.gif

you could always give earmuffs/earplugs to your family...
THEY should me making sacrifices for YOUR music listening
biggrin.gif

if that doesn't work, threaten them that you'll be getting 800W mono sub instead.
wink.gif

May 21, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 16
:666smile:

I am considering buying the M-Audio BX-8a (monitor speakers) and BX-10s (monitor sub), since I compose electronica for a hobby, that would REALLY make everyone in the neighbourhood hate me XD

Anyway, about the cans:

Let's forget about the Darths, too many different opinions, confusing "quest".

1) D2000 vs D5000: Are they really the same? Are the wood and the cable, the only true differences? Do these difs make them sound only a tiny bit different, as I read in the threads?

2) D2000 and D5000: Is the bass "controlled" or is it an "overkill"?

3) W5000: Are these really so good as some describe them? "Excellent Soundstage", "Controlled and deep bass", "Great Mids", "Not harsh but detailed highs", are only a few of the comments I can recall. Are they really so good?

I like "monitoring" sound, like it was originally recorded. Judging by what I have read, I think that maybe the W5000 are the ones I am lookin for...but I want your opinion (and other ones of cource) too
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 16
over W5000?

I tried markl modded D2000, and I still preferred well-amped HD600 by quite a margin. and I liked W5000 even more so, but I can be a detail freak at times (especially when listening to classical).

May 21, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

over W5000?

I tried markl modded D2000, and I still preferred well-amped HD600 by quite a margin. and I liked W5000 even more so, but I can be a detail freak at times (especially when listening to classical).

nah not saying over w5000. I just added an option for the OP to try among the raved cans at headfi. I still have to audition these can myself to see which one i prefer personally. Ive been drooling over the w5000s before and ultimately decided to get the open ad2ks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back