AKG K 701 amp
Aug 23, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #46 of 79
K701-Doge 6210 with Golden Dragon or Mullard tubes all over is an very good combination.
Volume 8 o`clock/600ohm/general(crossfeed) gives me the sound of real music.

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #48 of 79
I ended up ordering the Darkvoice 332.
I just like the idea of having the possibility to change tubes and get new/better sounds so I have a wider spectrum of sounds to try out to find what I think is the best sound.
This is going to be my first rig and I'm going to play mostly 200-320kbps MP3/FLAC using a Super Pro USB DAC which I'm going to get too soon.
I think by the end of the next week I'll be able to give some impressions about the combination.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up ordering the Darkvoice 332.
I just like the idea of having the possibility to change tubes and get new/better sounds so I have a wider spectrum of sounds to try out to find what I think is the best sound.
This is going to be my first rig and I'm going to play mostly 200-320kbps MP3/FLAC using a Super Pro USB DAC which I'm going to get too soon.
I think by the end of the next week I'll be able to give some impressions about the combination.

Kataklystik,

I'm very interested in an amp for K701 too. I'll very appreciate if you could share your experience in that combo a little.
Thanks!

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #51 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsaxin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wht would be the best portable amps for the akg k701...

Would the porta corda mkIII be good enough for driving the k701s????

Which is the best portable for the K701? I dunno as I haven't heard others...but my TTVJ Millett Portable seem to drive my 701s quite well.

A musical and sweet sounding combination with bass aplenty (if it is there on the recording). Deep enough that on some tracks, I can feel the bass in my chest which I thought was a an unusual sensation to get from HPs(I didn't think it was at all possible). And the combination is transparent enough that one can pick out bad recordings and poor music sources.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #52 of 79
just read this thread and noticed no mention of the gilmore lite. Arent the glites supposedly one of the best matches with the k701s electrically? (power/current/voltagewise)

Depending on source quality, wouldn't the glite with dps be almost or just as good as a gs1?

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #53 of 79
As this thread has been brought back to life, I thought I'd throw in my experience. I have K701, a DarkVoice 332 and a Headamp GS-1. I had a DarkVoice 336 and I recently listened to the Graham Slee Novo on the UK loaner program. I know it is a bit heretical to say this, but I find the DV 332 to be quite similar to the GS-1, with the DV 332 having a trace of valve warmth, and I find it difficult to decide which I prefer. I like the DV 332 much more than the DV 336, because with the DV 332 I hear more microdetails, such as breathing and the scraping of strings, the DV 336 being much less analytical. I did try different valves in the DarkVoices. When I listened to the Graham Slee Novo I wanted to buy one because I liked its resolution of details and airiness with the K701s. It is on the airy and light side but never harsh, and with a decent sound stage. I must be a person who likes the immediacy that results from hearing that sort of detail.

As an aside when I was listening to the Novo I got my K501s out of deep storage, and realized that I thought they are better in some ways than the K701s, seeming to be slightly more dynamic and lively.

I'm sorry that two of the amps I'm talking about are now obsolete, but I hope it helps. I would be interested to read any comparisons of the DV 336 and 332 with their current equivalents.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #55 of 79
i tried the ibasso d3 on the K701....

i find it rather difficult to drive this pair of cans..feel like pushing a cart upslope.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Graham Slee Solo works very nicely with them.

This always made sense to me as I feel a nice strong, detailed, and smooth SS amp would cater to the AKG sound instead of trying to get a tube amp to roll off the highs to compensate for not being able to drive them properly. I guess if tubes is what you want though then it would need to have a transformer output for the low impedance headphones. I have seen tons of people reporting synergy with the 701/Solo combo though.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #57 of 79
I've just combined the K702s with the Audio-gd C-2C and the results are very pleasing. Not too much to compare it with though - I had tested the K702s with the Benchmark DAC Headphone amp and the Audio-gd combination seemed to provide far better resolution to my ears.

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #59 of 79
I pair my AKG K701 APS V3 with Headroom MicroAmp 06 (+destop module) and I am quite happy with this combination.
happy_face1.gif
I used to try this HP with a tube amp from SpaceTech and it sounds terrible , too much distortion at high.

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #60 of 79
Running k-701s with Woo 5 LE, still could use more bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back