AKG K-501 Comfort Issues ??
May 22, 2004 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kaitsuburi

Head-Fier
Owners of the K-501, please advise:

I am planning to buy a pair, but I read that the non-adjustable band can be a serious comfort issue. I have a slightly larger-than-normal cranium so it could be a serious issue for me. None of the local shops carry those, so I will be ordering online :: no chance to audition
confused.gif

TIA

-kaitsuburi

May 22, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Gah! Just wrote a lengthy reply but there was an error saying the thread was invalid...?? Anyway.

The answer short: yes, there is a problem with the headband if you have a large head (I have a large head as well) - but the headband problem is easily remedied by taking off the rubber band from the cups and making it stay at the maximum position all the time.

The real problem IMO are the cups - they don't "rotate" enough to land comfortably on a large (sideways) head. I mean, it fits and all but there's a bit of straining. I don't know, I have a particularly large head so maybe for you it's bearable.

Your best bet probably is to get it somewhere that offers a return policy so that if it doesn't fit well you can return them.

May 22, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 9
fyi,

my head has a circumference of ~580mm - the 501 is very comfortable on me.

hope that helps.

May 22, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 9
My head is regular sized, but hair is crazy and bush like.
With extra volume still, k501 has been one of the most comfortable headphones I tried on. I can't say for everyone though.

May 22, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 9
woohoo ~ lots of female avatars in this thread, what's up with that
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the answers! Hopefully they will fit (my head is not that big, just a little taller than usual).

Soon, I will be joining the k501 club
k1000smile.gif
(there should be a :k501: smiley, don't you think??). I am most probably going to get the Perreaux amp.

Cheers,

-kaitsuburi

May 22, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Soon, I will be joining the k501 club (there should be a :k501: smiley, don't you think??). I am most probably going to get the Perreaux amp.

hey kaitsuburi,

I was NOT thrilled with k501/perreaux combo. After hours of listening, sometimes it feels hollow in the center imaging, vocals are too recessed in the back instead of being in the front of the band, not enough depth in bass region. They're not a bad combo, but not a great combo. I would ask around in the amp forum to maximize the ability of k501 before jumping into perreaux.

May 23, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Non-adjustable headband?

It is "self adjusting". If you really need even more room I would open it up (the side covers), loosen the adjustment screw and add some slack to the "rope / string". Don't cut the elastic rope, it can be adjusted internally. If you do break it, it should be easy enough to make one up out of elastic nylon thread.

May 28, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 9
kaitsuburi --

The AKG K-501 is by far the most comfortable headphone I own.
If one's head can adjust its mechanism to maximum, then MY GOD!
One must have an absolutely gigantic head for that to happen...

I could use a little more clamping force, but comfort is still the best.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back