AKG K-501 burn in question
Nov 4, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 11
many says the sound is quite there , out of the box.
other says that this can can gain some bass once some thx deeep loud bass tracks roll in theme for a while ( do a search on "cure bass akg" )

Nov 4, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 11
I've had the 501's for about 6 months and haven't noticed much difference. They are very comfortable and non fatiqueing and have a GREAT midrange. I just bought the 240s and these did sound different after burn-in and careful choice of amplifier. I have owned or still own the Senn HD580, Grado SR60, Beyerdynamic DT831 models but enjoy the AKG line of phones the best.

Nov 4, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 11
When I first put on my K501s I thought they sounded a lot like my Grados. I was a little nervous although I expected the sound to improve a bit. Over the next few hours of listening I thought the sound improved a lot! The soundstage appeared and the bass starting showing it's face. But now, after a couple of weeks of almost constant use, I don't think they've changed much since that first day. I like them. They sound really nice. I just wish there was an easy way to upgrade the cable.

Nov 4, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks. I didn't expect K-501 being this enjoyable. A very happy surprise
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 11
this thread might help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 11
When my 501s were new out-of-the box they were definitely "tight", somewhat "thin" and constricted sounding, very bass deficient. The first few hours (with lost of bass-heavy music) did help improve it. However, they continued to open up and improve noticeably (in my case) for a week or two. I expect that most brands of headphones, like any other product, are subject to some unit-to-unit variation, despite manufacturer claims to the contrary. It's likely that some owners experience dramatic improvements with varying amounts of burn in, while other don't. I believe it's worth the effort to keep them churning 24/7 -- and try some of the enhancements mentioned here-and-there: 20kHz, 40kHz, and 16Hz-20kHz sweep tones -- etc.

Burn-in is often frustrating and perplexing, but it sure is interesting.

k1000smile.gif
{still waiting for a 501 icon!}

Nov 4, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
40kHz

That's a LOT!

Nov 4, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 11
Ooops! I try to rip off high-speed notes between jobs at work -- no time to proofread. Of course I meant 20Hz, 40Hz, ...

Thanks.
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 11
I've had the K501's for a couple months now and just yesterday I downloaded that THX bass test file. I turned it up loud enough so that I actually felt the bass vibrate in my hands as I held the headphone (in a pleasant way if you know what I mean, nowhere near that it will distort) and left it for a couple hours and no matter what people say, there is a huge difference. Before you could only hear the bass, but now I can definately feel it which is a very nice sensation. I highly, highly doubt it is just placebo, the most undeniable evidence being some notes on a piano that just tickle my ears which I have never felt before. I wouldn't say the bass increased in volume but kind of transformed so that you can feel that slam but is still nice and tight. The last time I remember feeling this nice bass that kind of sweeps over you is listening to AKG K1000, of course they aren't exactly the same but similar. For owners of this headphone I think it'd be fun if you tried it although the sound might just change drastically. And no offense to those who don't believe burn-in exists, maybe this isn't exactly burn-in : ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back