AKG K-501 and Go-Vibe V4
Feb 2, 2006 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

CAMiasm

New Head-Fier
hi, i'm getting my first good headphone setup soon.

i am pretty sure i'm going to get the AKG K-501 and a go-vibe v4. i've heard that the go-vibe may be out of business? i'm not even sure if i need an amp. it won't be leaving my room. my setup will be AKG K-501 to amp (if needed) to soundblaster audigy 2 zs (in my pc).

i'm asking:
a. do i need an amp if i'm plugging into my pc?
b. is go-vibe out of business?
c. if so, what >$100 amp should i get?
d. will that amp power the AKG K-501?

thanks in advance.

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 28
i have answered A and B.

i've looked around at the amps in my price range and have come to one conclusion (assuming i've looked at all amps).

it is the Electric-Avenues Pocket Amp 2 V2.

are these compatible with the AKG K-501?

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMiasm
i have answered A and B.

i've looked around at the amps in my price range and have come to one conclusion (assuming i've looked at all amps).

it is the Electric-Avenues Pocket Amp 2 V2.

are these compatible with the AKG K-501?

I have the K501s and the PA2V2 - I dont normally use the PA2V2 with the 501s - if you can give me a couple of days I will try the combo out - the 501s are not an easy headphone to drive and even two of my "high" quality amps struggled to make them sound okay. If you dont hear back in a couple of days remind me - I have a terrible memory. For $100 there is always the Rockhopper Portable Pimeta option - which concidentally I have also just bought. I fear a comparitive review must eventually follow...but you may have to remind me as I have a terrible memory, er what was the question?

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 28
K501 are really power hungry, I don't think pav2 or pimeta will do it justice. I suggest the HD555, great starter can.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 28
if you are going to drive K501 with a small portable amp, go with one that is on the slightly warm side. Bassboost on the amp is also helpful as i'm sure there'll be situation you yearn for a little more the bass. But since you'll be using computer as source, a little eq'ing doesn't hurt.

As for the amp itself, i don't like my pimeta paired with K501, even with OPA627 opamp which many here consider warm. The overall sound is still a bit bright and on the dry side. It all depends on your sonic preference though. I can only tell you my preference.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228
As for the amp itself, i don't like my pimeta paired with K501, even with OPA627 opamp which many here consider warm. The overall sound is still a bit bright and on the dry side. It all depends on your sonic preference though. I can only tell you my preference.

I love my Pimeta (with OPA627s) + K501... YMMV, as expected
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 28
Is Pimeta with 627 really around $100?

For around $100, Portaphile X3 is a good amp for the K501. It's got enough juice to get good quality sound out of the 501s and it's made with excellent components.

The Portaphile V2^2 maxed is one of the best for the power hungry, bass-shy, and soundstage depth deprived 501s, but it is well above the $100 point (around $235 + 35 for ELPAC power supply).

The Ray Samuels Hornet is also very good for the 501s, but also more costly. If you ever get a Hornet, be aware that it requires 300-350 hours of burn in -- seriously (15,000uf cap!!!). The Portaphile V2^2 requires 200 hours of burn in (2x1000uf BlackGate NX caps).

Z-audio also makes a couple of small portables that will drive the 501s -- the Z-epsilon and Z-mu, though the Portaphile V2^2 and The Hornet have better build quality and features.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 28
BTW, in case you decide to buy a go-vibe used or something... it drives K501s "decently" but not as well as my maxed-out Pimeta. The improvement is very significant with the buffers, as it's a medium impedance headphone. You should go with a buffered design IMO.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 28
does anyone build pimetas? i have no experience with electronics.

i have $110 left after buying the headphones, what's the best i can get for that amount? (including shipping/tax)

please keep in mind i am a NEWB. this will be my first good headphone setup, please try and keep the terminology to a minimum, as i don't know what it means.

thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

does anyone build pimetas? i have no experience with electronics.

i have $110 left after buying the headphones, what's the best i can get for that amount? (including shipping/tax)

please keep in mind i am a NEWB. this will be my first good headphone setup, please try and keep the terminology to a minimum, as i don't know what it means.

thanks
biggrin.gif

This is about the cheapest Pimeta I've seen, if you're interested in getting one -- the listed specs are excellent for the price. Should drive K501s pretty well, with a more refined sound than the Electric Avenues PA2V2. Not terribly attractive looking though (IMO).

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 28
well, it won't be living my room, so i don't care about its appearance. i don't see a power switch though.

also i don't see a plugin for a wall wart (i think that's the term). which is unfortunate.

will it run with rechargable batteries? i'm not sure if this matters for other units, but it affects the performance of the PA2V2.

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

well, it won't be living my room, so i don't care about its appearance. i don't see a power switch though.

Built into the volume control knob, when you turn it to the right it turns the amp on.

Quote:

also i don't see a plugin for a wall wart (i think that's the term). which is unfortunate.

True on that one.

Quote:

will it run with rechargable batteries? i'm not sure if this matters for other units, but it affects the performance of the PA2V2.

Yes, it just won't recharge them for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back