AKG K-501 and Amp combo
Dec 8, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 38
quote:

---------------------------------
That's right! How come everyone here doesn't go out and buy $2 amps as well? The nerve of them to complain!
------------------------------------

That's hillarious!

Seriously though, most receivers should have plenty of power for the 501s (cannot comment on quality vs. headphone amps, since I have not heard a dedicated headphone amp yet). On mine, I only need to turn it up to 9 or 10, then it gets too loud.

Dec 8, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 38
Yes but receivers typically have non-existant damping factor from a higher output impedance.

Now with DT931, a higher output impedance can actually be desirable. They are perhaps to some too tight and controlled with low impedance also leading to a thinner strident quality.

I personally felt the AKG501 were a little more ambivalent to output impedance because the transducers themselves seem quite rigid and controlled naturally. I.e. they already HAVE a very controlled precise sound quality. On the otherhand, kwkarth likes his AKG501 from the Max and AKG1000 SS amps...these are without a doubt in my mind extremely low impedance SS designs. As such there is still a great possibility that receivers or integrated amps can deliver volume, but not exactly control.

And I believe phones like HD600 need all the damping they can ever get.

Dec 8, 2001 at 11:49 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Seriously though, most receivers should have plenty of power for the 501s (cannot comment on quality vs. headphone amps, since I have not heard a dedicated headphone amp yet). On mine, I only need to turn it up to 9 or 10, then it gets too loud.

But it's not the *volume* -- it's the quality and the ability to provide the current needed for bass and transients.

I haven't heard the 501 yet, but everyone who has, and who has tried them with various amps, contends that they really need a lot of good power to be driven to their potential. Given that I know that is true with the HD600, I tend to believe them. The headphone jack on a receiver won't do them justice.

Dec 9, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Out of 5 pages of posts I only have 2 definitive amps for the 501s:

SAC (too hard to get)
Headroom Max

The plus side of good amps is they can be used on a lot of different cans so spending money on amps is a good investment as I see it.

Any other takers? How about the MG head?

It would seem there are mixed reviews about the Creek SE.

I was hoping to 'clarify' the 501/amp situation here.

Since the Max sounds good with the HD600 too (from what I've read), it might be what you're looking for, since you're going to get those too...

Dec 9, 2001 at 1:32 AM Post #21 of 38
quote:

they really need a lot of good power to be driven to their potential. Given that I know that is true with the HD600, I tend to believe them. The headphone jack on a receiver won't do them justice.

I bet it won't (but at least it does some justice to my budget...). How about a portable amplifier like Porta Corda or Total AirHead? Is it going to sound better than a receiver?

Dec 9, 2001 at 1:57 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by danieln
I bet it won't (but at least it does some justice to my budget...). How about a portable amplifier like Porta Corda or Total AirHead? Is it going to sound better than a receiver?

Definitely! Unless you have one of the rare receivers that actually has separate headphone circuitry with good power, a PortaCorda will be a significant improvement.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 38
Through a reciever... Ewww.... Yuk.... Gag.... I don't plug my Portapros into a reciever without at least my Porta Corda (which is powered off of 3*9Vs BTW).

So, thusfar we have:

Headroom Max
Creek OBH-11SE (cranking up the volume)
The SAC, of course.
The HA4

I see a trend here... These are all amps that are either impossible to get and/or cost a fortune (Creek excluded).

So, would it be fair to say that I can't go wrong with any quality amp that costs more than say $1000USD? I would certainly hope these amps would make *ANY* pair of headphones sound great (ES and the K1000s excluded, of course).

What about the sub-$1000 range?

I know the Creek fits this, what about the MG head? If no one has auditioned this I may just have to run out and buy it simply to review!

How about Meier's Corda, think it has enough umph to make the 501s sound good? Granted it won't be as good as the SAC, but what about compared to the Creek?

And speaking of the Porta, think a stock 9V porta has enough to make the 501s sound decent?

When talking about a Max, I think if I were going to spend that kind of cash I would just jump straight to the Blockheads. Damned the torpedos, full speed ahead!! Of course, I'd have to modify the headphones, but tweaking is half the fun here isn't it?

As for the $2 amp... you lucky bas****... I'll give ya $10 for it!
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Monica
I would like to suggest you to check also the Headmaster. I have been using mine for several weeks and find it quite good.

Monica

You got a URL? Is this tube or SS?

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #25 of 38
Nezer, just do a search on "headmaster" in the Amps & Source forum. You'll find plenty of information.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:06 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Through a reciever... Ewww.... Yuk.... Gag.... I don't plug my Portapros into a reciever without at least my Porta Corda (which is powered off of 3*9Vs BTW).

So, thusfar we have:

Headroom Max
Creek OBH-11SE (cranking up the volume)
The SAC, of course.
The HA4

I see a trend here... These are all amps that are either impossible to get and/or cost a fortune (Creek excluded).

So, would it be fair to say that I can't go wrong with any quality amp that costs more than say $1000USD? I would certainly hope these amps would make *ANY* pair of headphones sound great (ES and the K1000s excluded, of course).

What about the sub-$1000 range?

I know the Creek fits this, what about the MG head? If no one has auditioned this I may just have to run out and buy it simply to review!

How about Meier's Corda, think it has enough umph to make the 501s sound good? Granted it won't be as good as the SAC, but what about compared to the Creek?

And speaking of the Porta, think a stock 9V porta has enough to make the 501s sound decent?

When talking about a Max, I think if I were going to spend that kind of cash I would just jump straight to the Blockheads. Damned the torpedos, full speed ahead!! Of course, I'd have to modify the headphones, but tweaking is half the fun here isn't it?

As for the $2 amp... you lucky bas****... I'll give ya $10 for it!
wink.gif

No! It's all mine! Sad thing is, the power amp doesnt sound all that great.. But that headphone jack.. hehehe.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:43 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Nezer, just do a search on "headmaster" in the Amps & Source forum. You'll find plenty of information.

Duh... My brain must have been shut-off.

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:09 PM Post #28 of 38
I think it is unfortunate that the discussions over the last few weeks in various threads give the impression that one needs to spend $1000+ for a great amp to have any kind of decent sound with the 501s.

Now it may be that

a) the 501s don't reach their full potential until they have a Max driving them
and/or that

b) the bass issue is not fully solved until you mod your SAC,

BUT

I personally use a Little (old model, B-Stock, was way below $200 at the Headroom sale) and I have the volume pot usually around 9 o'clock for pop and never beyond noon for classical. And I am very happy with the sound [granted, I am not a bass freak].

So, is the AKG power hungry? Yes.
Does it really really benefit from a great amp? Yes
But do you need to spend $1000 + to get the 501s to sound great? No. At least not to my (humble) ears. Try the Little and if you don't like it, send it back.

Legoman

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:59 PM Post #29 of 38
I am using Corda for my 501, this combo sounds great with deep bass (deep bass sound, but not deep bass feeling, like V6) . I only have to turn the volume half way up (12 o'clock) for most CD.

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:08 PM Post #30 of 38
I have been looking at the 501's as well, i dont think the SAC is that expensive, meier audio has it for $450, i mean if this amp can drive a variety of cans, it might be a great deal. What do you SAC owners think?

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back