AKG K-340 compared to STAX
Sep 14, 2006 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it just me, or the love for the AKG K340 has kinda disappeared? Not much discussion around them lately.

On the other side, Stax are much discussed since some time.

Question to Stax gurus: to which Stax model would you compare the K340s?

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Is it just me, or the love for the AKG K340 has kinda disappeared? Not much discussion around them lately.

On the other side, Stax are much discussed since some time.

Question to Stax gurus: to which Stax model would you compare the K340s?

I just received mine today. The soundstage is something like a cross between the SR-303 and SR-5, large and expansive but not as distant as the 303.

I'll post more detailed impressions if and when I can drive them with the same amp
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 13
I still love my K340's very much. In fact, in many ways, I prefered them driven by the Darkvoice to a much more expensive KGSS/O2 combo. Sure, there were some areas where the Stax clearly excelled, but am I content without that setup? Yes...for now
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Aditya

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 13
You'll probably see a resurgance of K340 love once I get my new amp.
evil_smiley.gif

As for Stax, while I do like them, I prefer the K340's to any of the stax I've heard [still waiting to hear the original Omegas] by a fair margin when driven properly.
340smile.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
evil_smiley.gif

As for Stax, while I do like them, I prefer the K340's to any of the stax I've heard [still waiting to hear the original Omegas] by a fair margin when driven properly.
340smile.gif

What amp are you getting anyways? Or is it a secret
340smile.gif
??

Aditya

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 13
philodox said:
evil_smiley.gif
QUOTE]

I am also interesting in what amp you're getting. I'm scouting for a new amp now for my recently acquired and now headphiled K340s. I don't want to take this thread into amp territory, but though I like my 340s, I really can't give them any love till I get a worthy amp...okay, and source too, but one thing at a time.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 13
I think that Philodox has ordered a McAllister amp. Philo, when is it scheduled to come in?

I went to the SoCal meet in early August. My main goal was to find an amp that mated well with my K340s. I mostly listened to tube amps because I really like tubes. I found three amps that worked really well with them:
Singlepower MPX3 SE
Eddie Current Xana Deux
Borat's Singlepower PPX3 6SN7 Slam
All were very nice and did a great job of driving the K340s, which are one of the hardest headphones to drive. I also liked the K340s enough to then send to Larry for his magic.

After the meet I acquired a used PPX3 that I had sent to Mikhail. He has upgraded it to be a 6NS7 Slam. It's due to arrive any day now. I can hardly wait. I also can hardly wait until my K340s come back from Headphile. It should be a match made in heaven for my tastes. YMMV.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 13
I'm getting a custom balanced amp from McAlister Audio. Hoping to get it by the end of the month, but with how busy Peter is that is looking doubtfull.

Sep 15, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn

After all that's been said and done
are we expected to repeat it
again and again??

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I would definetly love to hear a pair, and I say I would have gone as far as buying a pair used. But now that some of the parts (can't remember if it's the electret or dynamic thats now d/c'ed at AKG) I don't think I'll ever buy a pair unless I see a BIN on ebay for $100 or less.

There's a NIB pair supposedly on the FS forum right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back