AKG K 271 MKII Studio
Nov 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

HiivaMage

New Head-Fier
So, I was thinking of getting K 271 Studio but those are discontinued so are MKII better or worse? And should I get those I have atm HD 555 are they how different in sound?

Nov 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 17
The K-271MKll are different more flat on the bass, and more extended on the mids/highs.
You can give a try to some Ultrasones and compare them to the K-271MKll and see what you like most.

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 17
I know some people really love them. I found them thin and uninvolving and so returned them. The sound is much less full than the HD 555/595 in my opinion.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about some K701/2 used ?

Now that's something I can't differ with.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 17
^Well of all the headphones I've tried, I probably gave them the least fair shake. I'm usually pretty good about listening to a new headphone every night for 3 or 4 weeks. But I basically had an allergic reaction to the K 271 and did not burn them in enough. Accordingly, I should probably not speak badly of them. I am tempted to give them another shot.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 17
I have to say that I find the k271 mkIIs to be incredibly under-rated cans. I was looking for a really good set of closed cans and I asked some head-fiers their opinions on these and the ATHesw9a's. I decided to go with the k271s a few weeks back and have been hitting them hard since they arrived. My only other set of closed cans I had owned were the HD280s which I recently sold.

I've owned (and sold) the HD595s and prefer the k271s to be honest - they have great clarity and detail (particularly for acoustic rock), with a pleasing soundstage I wouldn't have expected from a closed set of phones. A superb compliment to my k701s and 325is' when I want/need some isolation but still want a great listening experience.

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 17
LOVE the 271, S and the mkII. It is my default go to set. Right now though it is taking a back seat to the srh840 from Shure. If AKG could just make a portable version of the 271 that folds up but retains the SQ, that would be brilliant. The 171mkII doesn't count 'cause it doesn't fold. The thing I like about the 271 is that if you want more bass from it, you just have to find a good mixer and slightly tweak the low freq knob up a notch. It still retains its clarity and soundstage but now with a little more "body" to the music. AKG should take the 3D mechanism of the k181dj and dump the full sized chassis and drivers of the 271 on it and bingo. A truly portable 271.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #12 of 17
I bought a pair of mkii's a few months back and have been pretty thrilled with their performance thus far. They play most music well straight out of my computer's headphone jack. Which is saying a lot, considering my sound card is some (likely horrific) creative proprietary POS. They struggle occasionally to render the high ends in classical music, but I am more than confident that such symptoms will rapidly vanish when it is plugged into a suitable amp (just ordered the nuforce uDAC based on Larry's raving review. Hoping it has enough juice to drive them. He said it worked with his Senn HD600s, which are higher impedance than the 271 mkii, so I am hopeful). They do seem slightly strenuous to listen too at times, which I believe is due to lack of proper amplification. The sound that comes out of these cans is remarkably detailed though. Particularly things like gongs or symbols will leave you with your mouth agape. The vocal renderings are fantastic as well. As they are my first set of audiophile cans, I can't make a comparison to any of the senns. I would imagine that both will have a similarly detailed and analytical rendering of music, but suspect that the AKG will exceed the senn greatly in the mids.

Overall, I am exceedingly happy with my 271 mkii. I bought it to replace a pair of $60 Koss noise canceling headphones, and the difference is dramatic. The detailed rendering of the 271 makes music listening a truly engrossing experience. I find myself for the first time wandering around between instruments in songs. The detail is so phenomenal that it is trivial to pick out individual instruments even in massive orchestral scores. I suspect that with a high quality amp and source, these phones can go quite far in terms of extremely accurate music representation. I think the burn-in did them a bit of good as well. They are comfortable to wear, even for extended periods of time. They do exert a slight bit of pressure under the ear, but this dissipates with time as the pads conform to your facial architecture. For the $150 or so price that you can often find on amazon (50% off), I think these cans are almost unbeatable.

EDIT: As some headfiers have said above, the isolation on these is phenomenal. As a college student who uses these phones to tune out distractions while I am studying, isolation was one of the factors I considered, and they have exceeded my expectations. Listening to these at any moderate level, it is absolutely impossible to hear normal level conversation even a few feet away (This is using the velour pads, I have heard the leatherettes are even better at isolation). I don't mean that it is impossible to understand conversation--rather it is impossible to discern that a conversation is occurring whatsoever.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 17
You're really a fan of the Akg aren't you Mr. Mark Spitz? Me too. I've had the 272HD for about a month now, and as much as I hate to admit it, I might like them better than my Grado 325is. I really feel weird saying that...

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 17
The nice thing about K271s is they do not need amp to shine. I bought mine back in 2003, and still keeping them. Recable will be very very nice upgrade IMO.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #15 of 17
I have 271 mk II since May - this headphones need a lot of electricity (91 dB/mW, 55 ohms) from computer, CD player they are weak. They do not like OTL amplifiers. In my humble opinion 271 mk II are great headphones... with solid, quick, deep bass, delicate midrange, and bright treble ... but only when they are powered by strong amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back