AKG K 26 P: Sound not centered
May 25, 2006 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

audiodude

New Head-Fier
I bought an AKG K 26 P, but the sound doesn't seem to be centered. The left channel is slightly louder than the right one, affecting bass, vocals, etc. This is somewhat annoying. Will this likely be corrected after longer periods of burn-in, or do you think this is a malfunction and I should return these headphones as soon as possible? I also have the Sennheiser PX 100, which doesn't have such a problem when I listened to them the first hours.

May 25, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for your fast reply. Yes, it's the headphones, but I just don't know if this is going to change after a long time of burn-in or not. I'm probably going to return them. The difference in balance is relatively small, but noticable. Did anybody else have such a problem with any of his headphones?

May 25, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 13
I don't think that burn in will fix an imbalance like this. Cheap end headphones are maybe not matched so closely but not to the extent to what you have. I would get them back and try another pair. That would really annoy me.

Ian

May 25, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Is that Lordi?
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I don't think that burn in will fix an imbalance like this. Cheap end headphones are maybe not matched so closely but not to the extent to what you have. I would get them back and try another pair. That would really annoy me.

Ian

I agree with Ian. Sometimes a different set of the same cans can sound different - especially cheaper ones such as the K26P's. Try another pair, and if they still exhibit the same problem, send em back and move on.

May 27, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 13
In the meanwhile I'm not sure if it's the headphones, my ears, or both of them. Does anybody know how to easily test a headphone for centered sound? Well, it's just an idea, but probably the best thing would be a test sound which is definitely known to be centered. I did a longer search with Google, but didn't find anything of use yet. Or is there an easy way to create such a sound/set of sounds oneself?

May 27, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Is that Lordi?
biggrin.gif

it's the rockalypse!
very_evil_smiley.gif
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

and don't ignore channel imbalance, especially in more expensive cans. it can definitely be the sign of...the apocalypse. in my HP2s, my right channel started fading, and i freaked. well it ended up being one of the tubes in my Melos (tried other cans and rut ro...took me forever to figure that one out). a month or two later, like RIGHT before the national meet, the right channel of the HP2 started a slow fade to imbalance again. but this time it wasn't the tubes - it WAS the driver! oh no! thank goodness Larry overhauled it and my HP2s are back safe and sound, but the bottom line is - "trust your ears." if something seems off, it must be off. What exactly is off might take longer to isolate, but it's worth doing - don't continue to listen to inferior sound if you can help it!

May 27, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiodude
In the meanwhile I'm not sure if it's the headphones, my ears, or both of them. Does anybody know how to easily test a headphone for centered sound? Well, it's just an idea, but probably the best thing would be a test sound which is definitely known to be centered. I did a longer search with Google, but didn't find anything of use yet. Or is there an easy way to create such a sound/set of sounds oneself?

you can download Audacity for free online - it's a recording software, but it also offers test tones that you can use for either/both channels.

May 28, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiodude

Any mono recording will do and you can also try test tones (google). Take a pair of headphones that sound centered to you and try them normal and left right switched. Preferably with your eyes closed. If they sound centered you know you've got centered sound from your source. Try another source if you want to make absolutely sure. Then test with your 26ps. Close your eyes and twist the phones so that you don't know what is left and right. See if you can tell what is left. Try a couple of times and if you're right all the time then there is a imbalance.

P.S.
Just read jahns second post, he already mentioned test tones. You just have to google for them though. A simple google search will give you all the test tones you would ever want for channel imbalance testing.

May 30, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the Audacity hint. So far it seems I have a hearing imbalance that I didn't notice before with open headphones. Under these circumstances it's difficult to be sure, but my pair of AKG K 26 P's is probably quite balanced.
I wonder if the imbalance will go away after some time if I make them my primary headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back