AKG K 240 Studio vs...? sub-$100
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ianerhard13

Head-Fier
Hi, I recently purchased the ath-a900x as my first "good" headphone, but I'm returning it for comfort issues. I also have issues with the sound signature, specifically the volume of crash symbols in rock music and an overall thin sound to the music. I spent $110 for the headphones and am now looking to buy another pair around that price.

I went to guitar center to try a bunch of phones, but they did not want to open the boxes. They had a spare AKG K 240 lying around that I tried for a few minutes. While it was kind of loud in the store and I had limited listening time, I enjoyed what I heard. But before I pull the trigger once again, I'd like to hear any recommendations for headphones that might be better at this price range.

I listen to metal, rock, jazz, as well as some electronic, pop, and classical. I'm looking for an over the ear phone (open or closed) with the main priority being detail and clarity while maintaining a respectable amount of bass. Sound stage (I'd like one that leans towards airy) and instrument separation are also important to me. I'd also like to go unamped, straight from my ipod and computer headphone jack for now.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi,
I received K240 MK II two days ago. I like these headphones. If you are not basshead, you would like these phones.
The headphones have gone through 35 hours of burn in so far and I have listened the music about 5 hours.
I pair these with E17. The instrument separation is good. I have not tried these phones without amp!

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hi,
I received K240 MK II two days ago. I like these headphones. If you are not basshead, you would like these phones.
The headphones have gone through 35 hours of burn in so far and I have listened the music about 5 hours.
I pair these with E17. The instrument separation is good. I have not tried these phones without amp!

Thanks for the reply that's good to hear. Do you own any other similar priced headphones you could compare these to?

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 4
I have Bose Over ear headphone, Sennheiser CX 550 and CX 400 II in earphones.
Bose is nowhere near the performance of K240 MKII. I do not like bloating bass of Bose headphone. K240 is my first audiophile quality headphone. I love it.
I am a noob here, may be some other experienced members would be able to guide in other options!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back