AKG K 240 Sextett Rock and Metal
May 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bode

Head-Fier
I've been reading some raving comments about the AKG K 240 Sextett Cardan suitability for rock and metal music. So I'm wondering how do these compare with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros? Is there a massive difference in sound signature? I'm still searching for the perfect headphone.

May 13, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 17
May 14, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 17
K240 sextett needs a much more powerful amp than 770 Pro to sound it's best, and even at it's best, there are still significant tonal differences that your taste may like or dislike.

K240 has creamier mids and a more 'acoustic' sounding bass. Overall a more warm (mid-focused) and 'euphoric analogue' sound. Good match for vintage rock.

DT770 has better treble and bass extension and is noticeably more aggressive at both extremes, and can handle modern rock/metal with strong sub-bass notes better than the k240 which bottoms out earlier and doesn't provide the same kind of 'deep thunder' you might like from certain metal/rock genres or recordings. Overall a more 'accurate digital' sound. Good match with modern recordings.

IMO, K240 Sextett is seriously overrated and over hyped. It's still a great vintage headphone, but the prices have hiked up over the past few years to more than double what they used to be, and at that price, if sound quality is the only thing you're after, there are better options out there.
Then there's the problem of going for an early production vs a mid-production or late production model.
The earliest ones being the bassiest are more difficult to find due to their age and also the most sought after.

May 14, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 17
You rang? :wink:

DT770 vs. Sextett? For rock and metal? Depends on what you consider to be rock and metal.
What amp would you be using for the Sextett?

Good day sir, a D NAD 1050 amp which claims it will handle 600 Ohm headphones. My current headphones and dacs are in the signature.

Metal will be Tool, Dream Theater, Opeth, Maiden etc with plenty of classic Deep Purple, Metallica, Ozzy thrown in.

May 14, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 17
K240 has creamier mids and a more 'acoustic' sounding bass. Overall a more warm (mid-focused) and 'euphoric analogue' sound. Good match for vintage rock.

IMO, K240 Sextett is seriously overrated and over hyped. It's still a great vintage headphone, but the prices have hiked up over the past few years to more than double what they used to be, and at that price, if sound quality is the only thing you're after, there are better options out there.

My quick set up of DT 770 Pros and the V30 quad dac phone sounded harsh and awful for metal, so your description of the K240 sounds perfect to me...not for the V30 set up obviously, but it gives you an idea of what's going wrong with the DT770s.

I can get the Sextett for £100, but if they are not going to leap out at me, I will put that £100 towards something which does the job. At the moment, none of my headphones are giving me goosebumps when it comes to Metal music.

May 14, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 17
As @GREQ said above,the Sextetts have fantastic mids,which is important IMO for rock and metal. Ive read about many members here who dont care about mids for rock,and frankly,I dont understand that,but whatever. Since you dont like the DT770s for rock,it sounds like the Sextett would be perfect for you,as theyre very different sounding from the Beyer.
The Beyer is a more dynamic sound. Lots of treble and bass,with crap mids. It sounds bright.
The Sextett is a warmer sound,with phenomenal guitar and vocal sound.

There are three different versions of the Sextett,and it can be a bit tricky to not only find a pair of Sextetts vs. other other headphones named K240,but also to know which Sextett you are getting. I have all three versions and prefer the MP. The EP is good too,but if youre into fast metal(black,death,melodeath) i think the bass of the EP can get in the way. The LP im not too crazy about personally.

Finally amping the Sextett is no joke. I have no idea about your NAD on whether or not it can drive the Sextett well. I have tried several different amps,both solid state and tube and I prefer vintage solid state receivers for the Sextetts. All my other headphones I use a tube amp for,but the Sextetts+receiver= magic to my ears.

Finally,unlike Greq,I do not think the Sextetts are overrated,nor overpriced. I own headphones that cost thousands of dollars and I still use my Sextetts for rock and metal often. For the price,I think theyre one of the best bargains in this hobby.

If you havent yet seen my videos on the Sextetts and using receivers as amps,here you go. Let me know if you have any other questions.

May 14, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 17
I have used all of my headphone amps with the K240 Sextett LP. Lyr 3 is the best but the Jotunheim and Vali 2 also work well with it. I would probably go with a Vali 2 or Magni 3 at a minimum if your NAD 1050 turns out to be inadequate. Lyr 3 puts out 450 mW at 600 ohms and seems to be a very good match with the K240 Sextett.

May 14, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 17
As @GREQ said above,the Sextetts have fantastic mids,which is important IMO for rock and metal. Ive read about many members here who dont care about mids for rock,and frankly,I dont understand that,but whatever. Since you dont like the DT770s for rock,it sounds like the Sextett would be perfect for you,as theyre very different sounding from the Beyer.
The Beyer is a more dynamic sound. Lots of treble and bass,with crap mids. It sounds bright.
The Sextett is a warmer sound,with phenomenal guitar and vocal sound.

There are three different versions of the Sextett,and it can be a bit tricky to not only find a pair of Sextetts vs. other other headphones named K240,but also to know which Sextett you are getting. I have all three versions and prefer the MP. The EP is good too,but if youre into fast metal(black,death,melodeath) i think the bass of the EP can get in the way. The LP im not too crazy about personally.

Finally amping the Sextett is no joke. I have no idea about your NAD on whether or not it can drive the Sextett well. I have tried several different amps,both solid state and tube and I prefer vintage solid state receivers for the Sextetts. All my other headphones I use a tube amp for,but the Sextetts+receiver= magic to my ears.

Finally,unlike Greq,I do not think the Sextetts are overrated,nor overpriced. I own headphones that cost thousands of dollars and I still use my Sextetts for rock and metal often. For the price,I think theyre one of the best bargains in this hobby.

If you havent yet seen my videos on the Sextetts and using receivers as amps,here you go. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regarding the information in the K240 video - with inflation of the original price of K240, they wouldn't be $2000, but closer to $350.
While money isn't inflating to those extremes, headphone prices certainly are.

I think headphones costing thousands of dollars isn't an indicator of how good the K240 is, bur more an indication that modern headphones aren't often much better, for a whole lot more money. In some cases, much worse! :D
If the past 15 years (and thousands of euros spent on) of this hobby have taught me anything is that price is no indication of sound quality or related to how much enjoyment it will bring.

My quick set up of DT 770 Pros and the V30 quad dac phone sounded harsh and awful for metal, so your description of the K240 sounds perfect to me...not for the V30 set up obviously, but it gives you an idea of what's going wrong with the DT770s.

I can get the Sextett for £100, but if they are not going to leap out at me, I will put that £100 towards something which does the job. At the moment, none of my headphones are giving me goosebumps when it comes to Metal music.
Maybe check ebay Germany and Austria, you might be able to get one shipped for considerably less than £100 if you're a bit patient.
Most of those hovering around the 100-120 Euro price mark have been listed there for months. A more 'normal' price for these is between 40-70 euros depending on the condition and which version.

May 14, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 17
As @GREQ said above,the Sextetts have fantastic mids,which is important IMO for rock and metal. Ive read about many members here who dont care about mids for rock,and frankly,I dont understand that,but whatever.

Some of the best loudspeakers I have heard have exceptional mid range detail. This is necessary for instrument separation imho. When you have a wall of sound, like metal music you need to be able to pick everything out, otherwise it's compressed mush. So I'm probably thinking I need to make an upgrade leap...AKG K812?? I found your other threads on metal music,so I'll have a good long read this evening.

May 14, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 17
Regarding the information in the K240 video - with inflation of the original price of K240, they wouldn't be $2000, but closer to $350.
While money isn't inflating to those extremes, headphone prices certainly are.

I think headphones costing thousands of dollars isn't an indicator of how good the K240 is, bur more an indication that modern headphones aren't often much better, for a whole lot more money. In some cases, much worse! :D
If the past 15 years (and thousands of euros spent on) of this hobby have taught me anything is that price is no indication of sound quality or related to how much enjoyment it will bring.

Of course prices dont necessarily equate to better sound,all the time,but IMO the Sextett sound punches way above what they go for these days. Have they gone up in price lately? Of course they have. What hasnt?!?

May 14, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Have they gone up in price lately? Of course they have. What hasnt?!?
I'm not going to make a list, I'd rather keep the vintage hidden gems hidden, un-hyped and prices un-hiked.
On the whole, the vintage-headphone-hype has started dying down since 2017 at it's peak and prices are finally beginning to settle too.

May 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 17
Some of the best loudspeakers I have heard have exceptional mid range detail. This is necessary for instrument separation imho. When you have a wall of sound, like metal music you need to be able to pick everything out, otherwise it's compressed mush. So I'm probably thinking I need to make an upgrade leap...AKG K812?? I found your other threads on metal music,so I'll have a good long read this evening.

Yeah,i mean sound is a very personal thing. What sounds good to me,thru my gear,and with my ears doesnt necessarily mean it will be great for you.
Theyre are headphones suggested in the metal thread that I thought sounded like hot trash,so again its a very subjective thing. It looks like youve been around Head-fi for a long time,so you probably already know this.

I havent heard the K812,so I cant offer any advice on that. If youre looking for big $ headphones for rock and metal,I like the

ZMF Aelous (warm)
ZMF Auteur(neutral-ish)

I also like the ATH AD2000s,but those are very hard to find,and quite amp picky.

May 3, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 17
Yeah,i mean sound is a very personal thing. What sounds good to me,thru my gear,and with my ears doesnt necessarily mean it will be great for you.
Theyre are headphones suggested in the metal thread that I thought sounded like hot trash,so again its a very subjective thing. It looks like youve been around Head-fi for a long time,so you probably already know this.

I havent heard the K812,so I cant offer any advice on that. If youre looking for big $ headphones for rock and metal,I like the

ZMF Aelous (warm)
ZMF Auteur(neutral-ish)

I also like the ATH AD2000s,but those are very hard to find,and quite amp picky.
Hi is the AD2000s hard to find ? I dont think so in my place, though I know its discontinued or maybe because we have suppliers link with audio technica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back