AKG K 240 mkii vs Shure SRH 440
Nov 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Actual Proof

New Head-Fier
I am looking for my first real set of headphones, and I am asking them to do a lot, so hear me out.

I need something that is semi-isolating, but can be a tad open (hence the K 240). I sometimes listen in noisy environments for short-er periods, but I don't care much about sound leakage to those around me.

Listening to: Jazz, Rock, Funk/Blues, Jazz Fusion, Acoustic and occasional hip-hop/pop.

Also will be used for PC gaming, so having a decent sense of directionality of sound is important.

Budget: $100-$150

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the AKG K240/ AKG 240 mkii (since it has the extra ear-pads and cord...is that worth the extra cost?) and the SRH 440 for their closed back, but good soundstage.

Any other suggestions? Shoot!

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 21
Choose mainly by long term comfort, so go try some on. I like my K240S for fit, lightness, ease to drive, and the detachable cord.

OTOH if I had ~$150 I would be looking for a used pair of K550....!

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 21
If you need isolation forget about the k240 (the sound is very good though). The srh440 is good for the genres u listed (awesome clarity in mids, highs) except hip-hop (they will lack bass for the average consumer). The only problem is they're not comfortable enough for long listening sessions.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 21
The 440's can be found used on amazon or head fi less $60, which is a steal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DP1FTU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The 440's are a very transparent and detailed headphone at it's price range. Many times I would listen to songs at a low volume without noticing, and I could of sworn that music was out loud in my house.

Or you could get the 840's for $145 shipped used on amazon, or even cheaper on head fi.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DP8IEK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

If I were you I would go with the 840's i've had both. The 840's are warmer yet they do not loss detail, they actually gain detail in the low end and midrange spectrum.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the K550 idea. I think if I can snag one being sold now on ebay by Harmon Kardon themselves as a refurb, I will enjoy it.

Otherwise, I will try to have a listen at a guitar center or something. I hope they have the Shure 440/840 in stock or something similar.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 21
Wasn't able to get the K550s. I think that they probably would have been uncomfortable to use long term anyhow. I wear glasses and I have heard it is difficult to achieve a proper seal on them.

That aside, I'll still take additional recommendations.

I am back to the SRH440 and AKG 240 mkii as my main choices. I think it might be best to try em out and then report back.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 21
Like yourself, I am also comtemplating between these same two headphones. This week, I just got myself a set of SRH440 but I'm also thinking about getting a set of used AKG k240 or k272 (not that I have a lot of extra $$ to spend).  The SRH440 has a very balanced and neutral sound to my newbie ears (great highs and good tight-quick bass) which are the things I like in a set of headphones.  But the other thing is that i love the AKG K240/K272 precise analytical sound. I can hear what was truly meant to be heard, and not the other doctored-up bass which distorts the mids and highs. For some reason, these AKGs are so easy to listen to without tiring my ear drums.  Kind of leaning towards a K240 for some directional sound. I want to get some variety in what I'm listening to.  I'll be interested in knowing what you're going to go for.  I'm still feeling torn but leaning toward AKGs. I hate sitting on the fence like this.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 21
I want to get some variety in what I'm listening to.  I'll be interested in knowing what you're going to go for.  I'm still feeling torn but leaning toward AKGs. I hate sitting on the fence like this.

Its almost like I want both sets.

Since you have the 440s, can you comment on the closed-ness of them in terms of sound isolation. Do you think that affects the soundstage and directionality of the sound? Those are my only concerns with that headphone. Is it as bass heavy as the ATH M50? I don't want bass heavy/basshead class low end. I like the AKG due to their accuracy and directional awareness due to the open design, but that obviously won't isolate noise.

Are the 440s well built? They look good in terms of quality.

Thanks for your post. I think I will either get the AKG or Shure. I have pretty much eliminated the audio technicas ad-700 and 700x due to build quality issues. I'd love to look at an open set of Beyerdynamic phones similar to the DT-770 pro, but I don't know the model of the open set.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 21
To my newbie ears, you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm not as experienced as others on this forum.  The sound isolation of SRH440 is quite good.  I listen to it at night and my wife has given me a kick on legs yet so I assume it doesn't bother her.

The soundstage is okay for a closed headphones (but of course, not nearly as good as an open headset). I can hear distinct sounds on the left, middle, and right so it's as good as any good set of closed headphones.

But about the Shure SRH 440, it has really "good" tight bass. It's probably as much as I want it.  It's totally unlike Beats' overly emphasized bass. And the bass in SRH440 bass is not as strong as in the ATH-M50 which I is too bass-ey for my taste. I like it real and true.

I've only had these for a week but it seems like it's built very well.  About some of the amazon reviews that say it falls apart, I'd take those with a grain of salt too.  (It might be true for the SRH 240 because they're cheaper plastic. I got the SRH240 for my wife who has no interests in headphones at all).  The build feels as good as the SRH840. But I feel the SRH440 will last since it's good quality plastic--not cheap plastic.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 21
... and by the way, yesterday, I just got a used pair of AKG k172 HD (on-the-ears) instead, thinking it will sound very similar to k272 HD. Is the only real difference between the two is that k272 is the over-the-ears, and k172 on-the-ears? That was what I'd heard.

But when I brought it home, I'm finding that it doesn't sound anywhere like the 272HD I heard in the store. I suspect think the person who sold it to me didn't burn it in because he says he didn't use it. So maybe it just needs to be burned in?

I've got it going through pink and white noise right now.  Not sure how long it takes to burn them in?
and being 55ohms impedence, does it need an amp to bring out the true tremble and bass?
Can anyone help?

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 21
At 55ohm, you could benefit from an amp or dac sound card. That's what I am using, a Creative Soundblaster Z (can run up to 600 ohm).

I thank you for your review, as I have newbie ears and have only listened to bose noise cancelling qc2 phones that I have. They are too bass heavy. I believe the K172 are on ear and therefore will sound different and probably less spacious than an over the ear set.

You nailed it on the head about the SRH440 being more true to life in bass, which is exactly why I am not considering the ATH M50 as my first real set of phones.

I am leaning towards the K240 since I hear they are more comfortable than the SRH 440 for longer term listening/gaming.

I want comfort, but is the SRH 440 really that bad in terms of comfort?

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 21
Ok, then I may look into a cheap amp just for the AKG 172.  i was hoping I wouldn't need one because I'd have to spend more $$. I'll see how it develops after burn-in.

Well, I tried both SRH 240 and 440 and I can say that they are both feel very similar in comfort. I wouldn't say the 240 is really more comfortable. Thing is, the 440 is a tad bit heavier so you might feel more weight on your head.  But if you like better sound, then the SRH 440 will give you better sound.  The 240 sounds like it has a similar sound but I don't think it's as refined as the 440.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 21
I tried on the AKG K240s in store (same as the Mk ii) and I can say I will be getting them. They were way more comfortable than the SRH 440 and sounded clearer as well. I did love the isolation of the 440s, but with a proper amp, the AKG will do just as well at a comfortable listening volume.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 21
  I tried on the AKG K240s in store (same as the Mk ii) and I can say I will be getting them. They were way more comfortable than the SRH 440 and sounded clearer as well. I did love the isolation of the 440s, but with a proper amp, the AKG will do just as well at a comfortable listening volume.

I'd recommend you the K240 Mk. II's. The bonuses, which includes the velour pads, is really a must for the headphones. So much better than the original pleather(?) earpads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back