AKG K 240 Mk. II Vs M-Audio Q40
Mar 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alexjholland

New Head-Fier
Which one of these two pairs of great headphones should I buy?

I'm looking at something to listen to Drum&Bass and heavy guitars with on my Microsoft Zune, with a little production use in the evenings.

I do however, have great monitors, so will not rely on them for mixdowns.

I'm looking for great sound quality and some thick, clean bass.

I do not want to use any kind of amp either..

As soon as my mind is made up I can order - I have nowhere to listen to these two models, so your advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 12
The bass on the Q40s is great, but sometimes it tends to overshadow the mids, depending on the music -- EQ'ing the bass frequencies down may be needed. Other than that, they're great cans for the price, and built to last too.

Edit: within the $100 mark, you could also try the Ultrasone HFI-450. Or the HFI-550 for around $120. I've bought the latter, and I'm waiting them to be delivered. Ultrasone cans usually have great punchy bass.

Edit #2: The AKG K240 MK2 are being offered between $150 and $200 in online stores. In that price range you can get the Ultrasone HFI-580.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 12
I appreciate the suggestion, but I think I'm going to go for the Q40 - my Zune doesn't have an EQ, so the extra bass boost sounds pretty good to me!

I listen to a lot of D&B and heavy guitars, so this is especially important.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Then that's exactly what I want - bearing in mind my Zune has no EQ, a bass boost would take their decent sound quality (in comparison to an ipod) and give it that little extra thump I need!

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 12
I can only speak for the Q40s. I listen to hardstyle and hard house with them, and they're amazing, but it is a bit overpowering at times. Though, I'm a basshead, so I enjoy it :> They're not neutral, in other words (which is weird because they're marketed as monitors XD)

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 12
I think it's definitely the Q40 - the comments on the bass being big are pretty exciting. I do love my bass - as long as it's thick and controlled. The amount of people who say that despite this they are also great monitors is very reassuring - I haven't heard a bad word said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back