AKG K 141's have a buzzing - help!
Apr 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheNewGuy8

Head-Fier
I recently got a pair of AKG 141s (the old silver kind, 4-600 ohms) from someone on the forums here.

They work great, and I love the sound. EXCEPT, there is a slight buzzing in the right cup. It seems to be bass-activated. Is this remotely fixable? I've tried applying pressure in different places, but that hasn't helped.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Take the earpad off and pull out the disc of foam. Look for hairs in the foam, go over it with a lint roller or some tape on both sides.

It's probably a hair rattling against the driver.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks so much for answering!

how do I take the earpad off? If I pull on the foam part it seems like it'll rip (it appears to be glued). Do I take off the whol black cup section that connects to the silver section? If so, how?

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 6
hmm, somehow i missed that you have the old silver ringed version. Wish i had one of those.

Anyway, the K141 I have experience with has on the newer version a twist-lock vinyl pad or on the older version a self-adhesive cloth pad (that may have been vinyl at some point).

So, if there's a vinyl backing on your pads, I'm guessing it's glued on, but, based on the akg service docs (which may not be relivant for ancient k141's), the adhesive is designed to let you peel it off and stick it back on.

Do you have pictures?

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 6
you were right on.

The pad came off and is self-adhesive. I pulled away the foam pad and there were some bits of debris. after removing it everything sounds perfect. thanks so much.

man, i LOVE these cans.

anyone care to explain what the ohms have to do with it? These are specced at 4-600 ohms. I get the feeling that is unusual today. why?

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 6
That label on the earcup says "for outputs 4-600 ohms" -- they mean that you can plug them into just about any amp you might find in a home or studio. Speaker amps being designed for loads of 4 to 8 ohms generally, and studio line stages being designed for 600 ohm loads.

The headphone drivers themselves are 600-ohm nominally.

Glad to hear you got them up and going again. The K141 is an underappreciated headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back