AKG K-1000's or Sony MDR-SA5000
Oct 17, 2005 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
May have found a great, little, inexpensive amp to drive the K1000's but found a great deal on a pair of SA5K's. Which one to buy? I know the K1000's are supposed to go out of production this year if they haven't already. Lots of sites advertising but nobdy has in stock. My music tastes lean toward jazz, electric blues, & rock.

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 9
I think the best advice is to listen to both. I mean it. Its hard to just choose a pair of high-end cans like these. They both offer a superb level of detail not found in the majority of cans out there.

Also, I wouldn't compare headphone A to B but rather compare system A or B, i.e. what is going to be your setup with the 5000 compared to the 1000? IMO, that's really the only way to get any form of meaningful comparison.

Trogdor

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 9
With your music tastes I wouldn't buy either

Based on my experience with the SA5k, it can sound good with those genres but there are better.

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 9
As much as i like the SA5K with jazz, with your musical preferences in mind, i immediately think RS-1
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 9
I love my SA5000. Man, I remember when team SA5000 was just four of us, enjoying our little cans before a certain guru got them and they hit FoTM status...

But having said that, there is no question in my mind - get the K 1000. It is truly a unique and special experience in the realm of high-end phones. Be ready though, it is picky and wants the right associated equipment - but it is so rewarding.

Dun get me wrong, I do love and recommend the SA5000 to people who want that sound. Just living with the K 1000 at least once is an opportunity no head-fi'er should pass up.

Best regards,

-Jason

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 9
To my ears SA5k is too bright. And even if it is not too bright to my ears I still would consider K1000 to be a superior headphone. K1000's openess, transparency and coherent soundstage puts it in the very top tier of dynamic headphones.

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Wow!. Now I am even more confused. SA5K owners telling me to look elsewhere? I have a pair of HD650's and Alessandro MS2's, love the sound of both for different reason but lean more towards the slam of the MS2's. Drive both currently with my little Pimeta. Should have said I would be looking to upgrade amp with either purchase. Found a little integrated amp from Firestone Audio, The Big Joe ($200) that looks like it would go a half watt to maybe a little more with the K1000's. Could always try and drive it with a NADC320BEE that I have laying around. Was considering an M^3, Woo Audio or Single Pwr. toob amp whether I bought another set of cans or not. K1000 keeps naggin me to buy it especially if it is going out of production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back