AKG K-1000: Yep, it's that good
Nov 13, 2005 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

EricP

100+ Head-Fier
I've always read about this headphone consistantly being three things: Underwhelming at meets, requiring some special amp-voodoo, and the pride and joy of anyone who owns them. Items one and three are a bit contradicting, but after my K-1000 have come in, I can understand why.

First things first, the sound. It's tremendous. The best thing that I can say about this headphone is that it has no readily apparent faults, to my ears. This is a first in the world of headphones for me: The HD650 sound a bit jumbled (really underwhelmed with this headphone), the Sony SA5000 can be incoherant and have too much separation through the frequency range (though I still like it immensely and will be keeping it), the RS-1 can be painfully bright with some music as well as being lacking in headstage, the DT880 didn't have enough bass impact, and on down the line. Every headphone I've ever owned had some little imperfection that has driven my continuing binging and purging of cans. I've bought and sold something like 8 pairs of cans in the last year, all because they just didn't quite do it.

The K-1000, however, does it. It manages a very clear separation between frequency ranges, while maintaining good transient coherance. Soundstage is understandably immense. Really, the only kind of music I've thrown at it that didn't sound terrific is something like hardcore or speed-metal, too many cymbals get in the way of the sound. Acoustic music is jaw-dropping through these, as is chamber music. Rock is powerful, but with a delicacy that only the DT880 could match.

The only thing to complain about really is wearing them. All headphones require a little bit of adjustment to get the sound just so, but these things are just endless fiddling. And you have to listen while sitting upright, leaning back will knock them out of position. Plus they're pretty heavy. Not uncomfortable to wear, but not as easy to wear as my other headphones.

I'm driving them with my PPX3 SLAM, which definitely shows these demanding headphones who is boss. With the volume at about 11:00, even Ray Samuels himself would find it an appropriate volume
k1000smile.gif

If you didn't like these headphones at a larger meet, try and get some quiet time with them. I have found even that I have to turn off all of my computer equipment, fans, humidifier, everything, because they are so transparent to external noise. Definitely not a headphone for team computer-as-source (or team crying-baby-in-the-house).

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
The only thing to complain about really is wearing them. All headphones require a little bit of adjustment to get the sound just so, but these things are just endless fiddling. And you have to listen while sitting upright, leaning back will knock them out of position. Plus they're pretty heavy. Not uncomfortable to wear, but not as easy to wear as my other headphones.

trust me you get used to wearing them.. they are kinda strange at first but after a while you get used to the way they sit on your head...

the K1000's are truly unique headphone and i personally wouldent trade mine for anything... but i could see why bassheads would probably be dissapointed, and they are extremely revealing of details, which is good and bad... good becuase well, its a good thing (tm)
wink.gif
and bad becuase a lot of recordings are crappy, but you get used to it and it kinda adds character i guess, they also reveal weaknesses in your system, but whatever...

i use mine with my computer, which is fairly loud, and dont really have an issue... guess ive just learned to block out the drone from the computer and such...

if your bored some day and have the ability to hook up an external subwoofer to your system try wearing the K1000's with the subwoofer, guaranteed eargasm
k1000smile.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 14
The K-1000 can compete with the best, it is that good. The special amp voodoo is real though, as long as you define special amp voodoo as being a tube amp
smily_headphones1.gif

You happen to have an amp which plays to the K-1000's strengths and weaknesses. The K-1000 can be a bit metallic in the high end and thin in the bass unless you have a high current amp that can fill out the bass and smooth out the high end. Any solid state amp I have tried sounds painful with the K-1000. You are also right about outside noise. I found myself turning off the air conditioner and the fridge in the summer to get the quietest background possible.

The Audiovalve RKV and the K-1000 is one of the best combos I've ever owned. One of the few headphones that can reproduce classical to my approval. I wouldn't mind owning them again.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Definitely not a headphone for team computer-as-source (or team crying-baby-in-the-house).

Hey...I'm both of those!! Although I don't have the k1000, I just recieved my k701's and am burning them in right now. I would love to listen to the k1000's, but I honestly don't think I'd have the patience and discipline to use them as my main phones. Even if they were the awesome sound everyone says they are.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The K-1000 can compete with the best, it is that good. The special amp voodoo is real though, as long as you define special amp voodoo as being a tube amp
smily_headphones1.gif

while i love tube amps, i think the K1000's can definately be run with SS amps, the result may be too "detailed" or "bright" for some but i certainly enjoy it very much...

im currently driving my pair with a ss amp and im building another ss amp for them
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 14
While the K1000 is the best I have heard, it does have its flaws :
- slightly bright, even with the RKV amp,
- a little heavy to wear for an extended period of time,
- seem very fragile and need to be handled with care,
- as stated in this thread, requires a very quiet listening environment - on the other hand, you can hear the phone ring.

While it is possible to improve on these phones, notably with high end electrostatic equipment, I am pretty sure they remain unbeatable in their price range.

Nov 13, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Definitely not a headphone for team computer-as-source

Whose computer are we talking about? Mine's practically inaudible.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Whose computer are we talking about? Mine's practically inaudible.

I have only 2 120mm low-rpm fans. If you can hear your computer without the headphones on, you can hear it with the headphones on, simple as that.

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 14
To really hear the K1000's potential, change the cable and as far as amps go, the Firstwatt F1 has to be heard to believe. Sadly it was a limited production item.

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JzzMaTzz
To really hear the K1000's potential, change the cable and as far as amps go, the Firstwatt F1 has to be heard to believe. Sadly it was a limited production item.

Couldn't agree more about the FirstWatt F1 and AKG K1000s. It is a fantastic combination. Changed my opinion of my K1000s totally.
Sadly the FirstWatt F1 AND the K1000s are no longer available
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back