AKG K-1000 Question
Jul 11, 2005 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mingde10467

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering having the hardwired section of my K-1000's cable replaced. This would also involve removal of the pcb originally installed in them by AKG.

Can anyone tell me what the pcb does and if removing it improves the sound?
Any information would be much appreciated.

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 7
Do a search, there's someone who removed the pcb's but wired it in such a way that he could still choose to listen to them.
I think it was the guy from headphile (Larry ??)

I removed them from mine, I'm not shure if I like it, but then again I don't seem to enjoy the K1000's as I use to..

Veto

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mingde10467
I'm considering having the hardwired section of my K-1000's cable replaced. This would also involve removal of the pcb originally installed in them by AKG.

Can anyone tell me what the pcb does and if removing it improves the sound?
Any information would be much appreciated.

The pcb is a notch filter to filter out some in-ear resonances. Larry (Xanadu777) does remove them to make his "K3000" monsters, but this is a complete re-build. The internals and wires are tiny, so I wouldn't attempt it unless you were a skilled DIY solder-God.. I don't plan to remove my PCB b/c I do not want to change the awesome sound I have now.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
The pcb is a notch filter to filter out some in-ear resonances.

I was told that the notch filter is supposed to counterequalize the effect of a standing wave between the transducers and the head.
Anyway, I'd prefer being able to do this in the digital domain.No inprecise additional analog curcuit and adjustability to different angles of the drivers in respect to the ears would be nice. Quote:

The internals and wires are tiny, so I wouldn't attempt it unless you were a skilled DIY solder-God..

That's exactly the reason why both my k1000s are still stock.My first impression regarding the task when I opened them up is best expressed by a four letter word followed by the calculation that I would need another 50 hours practise of fine soldering.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Larry (Xanadu777) does remove them to make his "K3000" monsters, but this is a complete re-build.

Larry will happily remove the PCB and simply recable the headphones for you if you so wish (for a price, of course).

The K3000 is what you get when he takes the drivers from the K1000 and transplants them into a woodied CD3000 enslosure. The result is quite impressive, to say the least.

His website is http://www.headphile.com if you're interested.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for all your helpful comments! Larry at headphile gave me pretty much the same information concerning the notch filtering function of the pcb.

Judging from various comments here and photos of his work on headphile.com, if I decided to do it I wouldn't hesitate to entrust my 1000s to him.

I think my main problem is the brightness of so many digital recordings (what else is new?) - - something that the AKGs sometimes emphasize. Nevertheless, I love their open sound and speakers aren't an option for me. I have the Stefan Audioart replacement cable and a recently purchased Taddeo Digital Antidote II. They both seem to help.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 7
I know this thread is a couple of days old, but as I wrote before after the recable (DIY) I sort of lost interest in the K10000.
I also removed the PCB's because most peolpe here seem to like them more with those removed.
I always had great results with recommendations done at this site, not this time. This thread (and my own reply) started me thinking, what if I don't like them anymore because the removed PCB's.
So I put together a extension wire that alows me to listen with or without the PCB's.
I like them far better with the PCB's in the chain, the highs seem to take a step back and after the recable that was my main gripe with the K1000's.

Maybe something to keep in the back of your mind when you recable your K1000.

Veto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back