AKG K-1000 or K-701
Apr 18, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 29
May I suggest . . .

87.jpg

[size=xx-small]*found at your local BevMo![/size]

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 29
You can drive the k1000 fairly cheaply and enjoyably while saving for better. I use a $240 (inc shipping) Firestone Audio Bij Joe.. see the site sponsors. It's a great little amp and does a fine job on them. Not the best by any means but still very pleasurable as you figure out where you ultimately go if you decide you like the K1000, of course.

Congrats on the find, they are not usually that cheap
k1000smile.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #19 of 29
Thanks for your replies. Yes smeggy, read your review of it a couple days ago, and will most surely go in that direction. Maybe even the Revox amplifier, albeit a bit old, will do it too. It is quite powerful.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 29
I've owned both the K-1000 and K701 for months... constantly comparing, and I found the K-1000 much more revealing, refined and in another league. It's like the K701 with a thick layer of socks taken off.

But it needs quality components to get its best.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #21 of 29
The 1ks are terrible. Not worth it. I will help you out. I'll give you a pair of broken in 701s & pay you an extra $500.
biggrin.gif
Worth a try!

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #23 of 29
At $650 it's a tremendous bargain.
I've recently sold a spare K1000 (more than 10 years old) for more than that.
I also own (besides of lots of other cans) an old Lambda Pro and a K1000.
They have different strengths (and weaknesses) and therefor complement each other well.
Admittedly the K1000 has more potential than the Lambdas when coupled with the right electronic gear upstream but it's quite expensive to push it into the top tier league.
On the other hand decent amplification is affordable.You can always test it with whatever speaker amp you have at your disposal anyway, and there are also some cheap new amps out there.
I've recently attended a huge meet and shortly afterwards a mini meet with lots of K1000s and amplifiers for direct comparison.
As far as cheap amplification is concerned I didn't like the aforementioned "Big Joe".For the same price or less you can get one of those Tripath chip based amps, and they do sound way better than "Big Joe" IMO.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #24 of 29
I'm still scraping funds together for a Trends t-amp which should be fun. lmilhan indicated there wasn't much difference between the Joe and the Trends soundwise. I know the SI-t-amp sounds thin and sharp with the K1000 though, as I have one of those. Sounds great with my Staxes.

I still haven't tried the Ks from my Panny class D. That might prove interesting.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still scraping funds together for a Trends t-amp which should be fun. lmilhan indicated there wasn't much difference between the Joe and the Trends soundwise. I know the SI-t-amp sounds thin and sharp with the K1000 though, as I have one of those. Sounds great with my Staxes.

I still haven't tried the Ks from my Panny class D. That might prove interesting.

Stop beating around the bush and get a Pass amp, it will double as a room heater
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I suggest . . .

87.jpg

[size=xx-small]*found at your local BevMo![/size]

It's nae a bad brew down in Yorkshire and I agree there is definitely more than one path up to Heaven
evil_smiley.gif
Talking of temptation, all this talk about the K-1000's has whet my appetite, maybe I should take a look at the 1000s myself. But I am also wondering if $200 spend on the new Stefan Audioart cabling will reduce some of the difference between my K-701s and the 1000s??
confused.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teh Interweb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you guy get the K1000 on ebay acution or on craiglist? I looked on them both and don't see any? Are they that rare?

Not overly rare but expensive, usually in the $700 and up range. There is normally a set or two in the sale forums here and ebay germany has them available almost weekly.

Put it this way, there are enough going around that many of us have 2 pairs. I keep one at work and the other at home... now if I could get some wired into the car I'd never be without
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back