AKG K-1000 or K-701
Apr 18, 2007 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Whiteknight

New Head-Fier
Great forum you have here! Have been reading for a few days, and the amount of quality information is unbelievable!

Read most topics on the AKG K-1000 and K-701, and I still have a few questions. I'm new here, and don't know much, although i enjoy good quality listening.

Most of what I hear is Classical, some Jazz, Rock with high quality recordings and Brainwave frequencies.

Due to the open nature of the K-1000, is it a better choice for the brainwave frequencies? For the rest? Is the K-701 better, as is newer?

I have the chance of buying a new K-1000, and the decission is difficult... as you might imagine. It costs only $200 more than the 701..., then comes the amplification.

My equipment is Revox B-series, and own a Stax Lambda Pro which is over 20 years old with Its own amplifier and sounds fine, plus the Revox headphones, also 20 years old.

What would your recommendations be? Please don't kill me...

Thanks for your help!

Whiteknight

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 29
I just received my K701 this morning so please don't let me sway your decision (I've owned the K1000 for about half a year).

To me the K1000 does everything better than the K701 save for very deep bass.

The K701 is a fine choice, it doesn't leak that much sound for an open headphone and is extremely comfortable. But really if I had a Stax Lambda Pro (I used to own a Stax SR-404) I wouldn't see the need to get a K701.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 29
Regardless of the fact that the K1000's will suit your favorite genres quite well, an opportunity to get them for 600 dollars is completely unheard of; you simply must jump on that offer. If you weren't already aware, most K1000's go for a grand or higher, so you are an extremely lucky guy.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 29
... but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 701's, I have a pair and am very happy listening to any type of music. But if you can spend a bit more on the 1000's and arn't hurt by it, 200 bucks is not a lot then why not, you won't regret it. ... just had to do a search on brianwave frequencies ... very interesting! ... thing is though they seem to stretch from below 1Hz (!!) all the way up to hyper-hearing frequencies. I would doubt that there are commercially available phones that can cover the full spectrum?

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 29
K1000 for $200 more than the K701?
blink.gif
So you're getting it for under $500 . . . I would jump on that immediately regardless of your amplification situation. Just be glad that you found the deal of the year and worry about amplification later.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 29
The full spectrum is covered by supplying a frequency to one ear and 4 Hz less to the other ear. The brain tries to compensate... those 4 hz.

I thought that by being so open by design, those frequencies may not be so well supplied, but if all of you say it is so much better, it is not an issue at all.

No, it will be a bit over $650..., that's what got me interested and wanted to find out.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 29
I'll have to check out those brian frequencies sometime. It will certainly bring another dimension to listening thru phones. I would guess that this sort of listening is only socially acceptable when done thru phones. I wouldn't be concerned about headphones being open or not, if the brain is only concerned with the purity of the frequencies then I'm sure it will be able to quite easily perceive the pure tones regardless of the style of phone. Keep us in the loop with your final results and good luck with the 1000's, nice deal.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The full spectrum is covered by supplying a frequency to one ear and 4 Hz less to the other ear. The brain tries to compensate... those 4 hz.

I thought that by being so open by design, those frequencies may not be so well supplied, but if all of you say it is so much better, it is not an issue at all.

No, it will be a bit over $650..., that's what got me interested and wanted to find out.

If I found a K1000 for $650 I would immediately halt all of my plans and very nearly empty my bank account to grab it. I can't even drive the thing, but I would be so happy to have nabbed it at basically half price (based on the last few sales) that I wouldn't even care.
k1000smile.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I found a K1000 for $650 I would immediately halt all of my plans and very nearly empty my bank account to grab it. I can't even drive the thing, but I would be so happy to have nabbed it at basically half price (based on the last few sales) that I wouldn't even care.
k1000smile.gif

... yep, getting a bargain is one of life's pleasures! What I love about Audio is well encapsulated in this thread ... good equipment, good deals, a spiritual element and a quick grin ... good night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back