AKG <=> Harman/Kardon?
Jan 28, 2008 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
I just logged on to the AKG site and saw "Harman International Industries" at the bottom. Does anyone know if this is the same Harman as Harman/Kardon?
If so, those suckers are bleeding me dry! In two months I've bought K701s, a Drive+Play for my car (w/ HK antenna adapter), and I'm eyeing one of their receivers. On top of that I already own a ReplayTV of Harman/Kardon vintage. I'm a Harman fanboy and I didn't even know it
eek.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 20
Yep, the same Harman.

Check out the harman international website - they own a lot of brands. Notably JBL.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 20
Wow *slaps forehead*, I should've looked that up
tongue.gif
I knew about JBL since they're sold on the Harman eBay store and I suspected Infinity, but I'm surprised about Mark Levinson. That company's huge.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Akg, Harman\Kardon, JBL = trademarks.

Harman int. = actual company name.

Just like Technics, Panasonic are trademarks of Matsu****a electric...

no, panasonic is just an english-sounding trade name. AKG, JBL, etc, were independent companies that were acquired.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 20
I guess it's a moot point since this is an older thread, but Panasonic is now (and has been for almost 2 years) the International brand name for Matsu****a. They decided to make that their main brand name.

Second - was AKG always a division of Harmon Group, or were they acquired?
Ditto question for JBL - were they their own company at some point, or were they always a subdivision also?

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 20
i just got some kardon headphones from ebay. sound like akg k81djs. a lot.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 20
Also, if you see any Harman/Kardon IEM's, then those are designed by Etymotic Research.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 20
Interesting. I had no idea about the above. What would really be shocking was if Grado was a trademark for Sony, or some comparable big name. Thank goodness a very unlikely story...

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 20
yep as mentioned.

Harmon International.

They make many brands of audio equipment, mainly noting; JBL, AKG, Harmon/Kardon, and Infinity (they make vehicle audio accessories, amps, subwuffers, speakers, etc.)

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 20
Yup...and now Kraft wants to buy Harmon International.
Just kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back