AKG GHS-1: help !!
Apr 13, 2012 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HornetMaX

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've purchased an AKG GHS-1 for gaming purposes, but I have a huge issue
with the microphone: it picks up all the noise around me.

I don't mean things like white noise, humming or hiss, but any tiny sound.
For example, it picks up all my mouse and keyboard clicks.
This is very annoying when gaming cause my teammates hear me constantly:
under mumble with voice activation, a simple mouse click can trigger the
voice activation.

I guess the reason for that is that the mic has no "noise cancellation" and/or
it is not directional enough and/or not close to/facing the mouth.

As it is, I cannot use it for gaming (kind of bad for a gaming headset).
It's a pity because I like the audio quality.

Is there anything I can do ?

I guess the zalman mic (omnidirectional) would have the same problem, right ?

Do you know if the antlion modmic would solve the problem (even if I hate it
hasn't got a switch to close the mic) ?

MaX.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi all,

I've purchased an AKG GHS-1 for gaming purposes, but I have a huge issue
with the microphone: it picks up all the noise around me.

I don't mean things like white noise, humming or hiss, but any tiny sound.

For example, it picks up all my mouse and keyboard clicks.

This is very annoying when gaming cause my teammates hear me constantly:

under mumble with voice activation, a simple mouse click can trigger the

voice activation.

I guess the reason for that is that the mic has no "noise cancellation" and/or

it is not directional enough and/or not close to/facing the mouth.

As it is, I cannot use it for gaming (kind of bad for a gaming headset).

It's a pity because I like the audio quality.

Is there anything I can do ?

I guess the zalman mic (omnidirectional) would have the same problem, right ?

Do you know if the antlion modmic would solve the problem (even if I hate it
hasn't got a switch to close the mic) ?

[COLOR=222222]MaX.
[/COLOR]

From what I can see you would just have to set up the voice activation better than what you have at the moment. That the entire purpose of voice activation. To set it up so you won't send anything when you are just pressing a button on your mouse or keyboard. You can also turn up the noise suppresion or turn down the amplification in mumble. Another option is to use a push to talk button, but even then I would still recommend setting things up a little better.

Do note that when you own something like a mechanical keyboard it's kinda hard to set things up so that they actually work perfectly. It does make a noise after all.

Edit: It obviously does help if your mic is more directional and closer to your mouth than it is to your keyboard/mouse. However I still think that it should be possible to set it up so that you can use it with mumble without too many problems.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
From what I can see you would just have to set up the voice activation better than what you have at the moment. That the entire purpose of voice activation. To set it up so you won't send anything when you are just pressing a button on your mouse or keyboard. You can also turn up the noise suppresion or turn down the amplification in mumble. Another option is to use a push to talk button, but even then I would still recommend setting things up a little better.
Do note that when you own something like a mechanical keyboard it's kinda hard to set things up so that they actually work perfectly. It does make a noise after all.
Edit: It obviously does help if your mic is more directional and closer to your mouth than it is to your keyboard/mouse. However I still think that it should be possible to set it up so that you can use it with mumble without too many problems.

I'd be happy if it was the case, but it's not. Confirmation: http://www.head-fi.org/t/521191/akg-ghs1#post_7121832
It's as simple as that: with the voice activation driven by the signal level or by the signal S/N level (mumble can either both), the level of a mouse click is as loud as the level of me speaking. No way you can avoid this playing with the voice activation.

I tried everything:
  - mic input level
  - noise suppression (makes more or less no difference, as I'm not suffering from "noise" like constant humming or hiss)
  - amplification level in mumble (if I lower,my mates won't hear my clicks, but they won't hear me talking neither)
  - and of course with the parameter of the voice activation

The mic is so non-directional that it picks up a lot of the sound leaking from the headset (it's an open design), hence I need to use echo cancellation (with an headset !!).

Push to talk ? No thanks, I need all my fingers for the keys.

MaX.

P.S.
The keyboard is not a big problem as in game I'm not hamming on the keys as when typing, so voice activation is triggered only occasionally. But the mouse is: two clicks with a bit too much "envy", and all my mates know it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back