AKG Experts - After the K701, which is the next best AKG model
Apr 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #61 of 86
just trying to understand the AKGs better... the 340 is an electrostatic or a dynamic? or both? Why kind of amps does it need?

I'm a little confused about this headphone after reading this write up on an ebay action page. Do any other brands make this kind of phone?

Quote:

[size=x-small]K 340 - Dynamic/Electrostatic Two-way System[/size]
[size=x-small]Absolutely top class stereo headphones employing the two-way design concept. In each earpiece one dynamic and one electrostatic system combine to form an integral transducer system. In the K 340 no crossover network is required. Both systems are connected directly and acoustically tuned to avoid undesirable phase shifts or uneven frequency response in the crossover region. Therefore, there is no loss of transparency, and virtually no distortion.[/size]
[size=x-small]The K 340 is used without an auxiliary power unit, just like any dynamic headphones, because the miniature transformers required for signal voltage step-up are built into the earpieces. The passive diaphragms provide a well-balanced bass range as well as a natural, open and spatial sound image.[/size]

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #62 of 86
The K340s run off of regular headphone amps (or speaker amps, depending on your cable termination).

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #63 of 86
It has an electret in front and a dynamic driver in back, tuned by 5 passive diaphragms. It is typically run off a standard headphone amplifier, although some people reterminate and run it off speaker amps, and others have wanted to bi-amp the electrets and dynamic drivers separately.

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

i know you're having fun, but you do know it's not cool to quote someone and change the wording, right?

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #66 of 86
Wow sorry, I just repeated a harmless joke that was right up my post, somehow you seem to have missed that one. Anyway I have already 'manned up' and explained why I personally prefer the k601. I don't want to go on and on about it, because then it would just seem that I am trying to convince other people that my own gear is the best, which imo is very person/taste depending.

May 1, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #67 of 86
Yeah, I noticed the other post. And I wasn't trying to come across as harsh.

The closest thing I have to a K601 is a K501 with K601 pads, which changes the sound a fair amount, "grounding" some of its usual airiness and giving it a bit of body compared to with stock pads, as well collapsing and firming up the soundstage a bit. I think it's the most cost effective way to have a taste of the Kx01 series without having to buy them all.
tongue.gif

May 1, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by freid77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just trying to understand the AKGs better... the 340 is an electrostatic or a dynamic? or both? Why kind of amps does it need?

I'm a little confused about this headphone after reading this write up on an ebay action page. Do any other brands make this kind of phone?

Beautiful-sounding phones (provided you get the relatively balanced-sounding version). Quite easily the most enjoyable phone I have ever heard, aside from the HD-650 (and none other). The only other dynamic-electret hybrid phone similar to the K340 I know is its little sister the K145, which is similar-sounding (and yet not quite) to its big sister.

Cheers!

May 2, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #69 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
euhm, the k601 not as detailed as the hd595 :| I'm hearing some very different things than (my father has a hd595 so I have had plenty of opportunity to compare)! I agree that the K701 is technicly superior, if that translates to a better music experience is very person depending. But imho I wouldn't compare the 601 to the 595.

Detail isn't the same thing as a notchy spiked treble.

At least, in my book.

In my experience (three months+ with both) the k601 has more midrange, or less of a gentle midrange scoop than the k701.

I like gentle midrange scoop, which is why I switched back to a k701.

The k601 seemed to go better with bourbon than the k701, I haven't had the chance to try the k701 with rye yet.

May 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #70 of 86
At noon today, I will be AKG-less for the first time in 3 years. Having had all three of the K701, K601 and K501, here's my take on them:

I came into the K701's about 3 months after their heralded release. I enjoyed them enough, and kept them for about 3 months. They sounded quite good, but seemed a bit cold and detached to me, although they were not unpleasant in any way. I ended up trading them toward some K1000's (which sounded pretty good, but I didn't like wearing them at all). I no trouble parting with the K701’s and don't really miss them. I actually thought the K701 looked cool, and I found the build quality the best of the three.

The K601 is a great phone and a trememdous value. Putting aside all hype, specifications and "flagship" labels, I found them more enjoyable to listen to than the K701. They had a similar sound signature to the K701, but seemed to bring the music better. I kept them for several months and then traded them even up for some Stax SR-5's and adaptor.

The K501 is a special phone. It isn't great for everything, but it is the most fun - kind of the Mini Cooper of headphones. I've had them twice, and find them difficult to part with. My pair is leaving today, and I will probably miss them.

May 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #71 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At noon today, I will be AKG-less for the first time in 3 years. Having had all three of the K701, K601 and K501, here's my take on them:

I came into the K701's about 3 months after their heralded release. I enjoyed them enough, and kept them for about 3 months. They sounded quite good, but seemed a bit cold and detached to me, although they were not unpleasant in any way. I ended up trading them toward some K1000's (which sounded pretty good, but I didn't like wearing them at all). I no trouble parting with the K701’s and don't really miss them. I actually thought the K701 looked cool, and I found the build quality the best of the three.

The K601 is a great phone and a trememdous value. Putting aside all hype, specifications and "flagship" labels, I found them more enjoyable to listen to than the K701. They had a similar sound signature to the K701, but seemed to bring the music better. I kept them for several months and then traded them even up for some Stax SR-5's and adaptor.

The K501 is a special phone. It isn't great for everything, but it is the most fun - kind of the Mini Cooper of headphones. I've had them twice, and find them difficult to part with. My pair is leaving today, and I will probably miss them.

Does that make you (possibly) permanently in the Team Planar camp?

May 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that make you (possibly) permanently in the Team Planar camp?

Yup, but with occasional dynamic indulgances. The K501's are wonderful - wouldn't happen for a while, but let's see if I buy them again for the third time.

May 2, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Detail isn't the same thing as a notchy spiked treble.

At least, in my book.

In my experience (three months+ with both) the k601 has more midrange, or less of a gentle midrange scoop than the k701.

I like gentle midrange scoop, which is why I switched back to a k701.

The k601 seemed to go better with bourbon than the k701, I haven't had the chance to try the k701 with rye yet.

Notchy spiked treble? A K601?? If anything the highs are a bit recessed on the k601's which I kinda like for the music I use it on.

And its great to read billinkansas that my ears do not deceive me then, as I also found the k601 more enjoyable than the k701. I have never had the chance to listen to a k501 or sextett though.

May 2, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

Yup, but with occasional dynamic indulgances. The K501's are wonderful - wouldn't happen for a while, but let's see if I buy them again for the third time.

Nice, you make me want to try electrostats, but not at the expense of selling my K501, in the same sentence.
tongue.gif
I'll find a way to make it work...

The Sextetts (I have the MP and LP versions) are good, but I don't seem to have the same reaction others are having, in that I don't find anything particularly special about their sound. Might have to do with my upstream components, but my Fostexen beat them soundly with the same equipment, even in the tactile punch department.

Sorry I keep veering away from talking about AKG headphones.

May 2, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #75 of 86
Quote:

I'm kinda-sorta interested in stats, are any of them comparable to the K501? I quite love the K400 but a faster more detailed version would be very interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sextetts (I have the MP and LP versions) are good, but I don't seem to have the same reaction others are having, in that I don't find anything particularly special about their sound. Might have to do with my upstream components, but my Fostexen beat them soundly with the same equipment, even in the tactile punch department.

It's hard to say why some of us like them so much, since they aren't the most impressive technically. You have fresh pads and elastics on yours, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back