AKG Experts - After the K701, which is the next best AKG model
Apr 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonsense. Fact is 501 used to be the top tier AKG, until the 701 came along. When it went up against the second tier 601, it was demonstrably inferior. That must smart, and the fact is that not only have most 701 owners not heard the 601, but for the same reasons, most 501 owners haven't either, so this elevation of the 501 to mythic status is frankly preposterous.

<flameproof suit on>

x2!

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #47 of 86
The K701 is technically superior to that of the K601 and K501. It's instrument separation, sound stage, detail, and agility are amazing. Some might even say it's somewhat too analytical, clinical, boring, cold, not musical. Maybe I need to listen to one with more burn-in before I'm convinced to buy one. The K501 is my current favorite as I've been listening to more classical, orchestra, and vocals lately. Simply amazing! The K601 serves it's purposes and reminds me of the HD595 with more bass and a bigger sound stage, though not as detailed.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #48 of 86
euhm, the k601 not as detailed as the hd595 :| I'm hearing some very different things than (my father has a hd595 so I have had plenty of opportunity to compare)! I agree that the K701 is technicly superior, if that translates to a better music experience is very person depending. But imho I wouldn't compare the 601 to the 595.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #49 of 86
my personal opinion is that the k701 is indeed the most technically superior of the kx01 varieties. it certainly bested the k601 when i had both. but i prefer the sound of the k501 and running balanced, it has more than adequate bass. the king remains the k1000, though. 'nuff said.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the king remains the k340, though. 'nuff said.

*fixed that for you.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #51 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the king remains the k601, though. 'nuff said.

biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #52 of 86
I have no experience with the K601, but between the K701 (both ALO and stock) and stock K501, the K701 is a more balanced phone overall. That being said, the K501 is more fun to listen to for certain types of music (already touted by others, acoustic, jazz, vocals, etc.); switching to the K701 makes it seem like an acoustic veil has been placed over the treble, at least until the ears get reacclimated. I have APS recables coming of my (previously) stock K701 and one of my two pair of K501s, so am looking forward to doing more comparison in a couple of weeks.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #53 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
euhm, the k601 not as detailed as the hd595 :| I'm hearing some very different things than (my father has a hd595 so I have had plenty of opportunity to compare)! I agree that the K701 is technicly superior, if that translates to a better music experience is very person depending. But imho I wouldn't compare the 601 to the 595.

Ok, you're right, comparing the HD595 to the K601 is really not right. And I never liked the HD595. It just didn't do it for me. To me it was very lifeless, though it didn't need an amp to sound ok. I do like the K601 and it betters the HD595 in every way. And detail, well, we can argue. The K601 is a lot more lush, so to me, it does appear to hide a bit of the detail since music blends so much better. Maybe comparing it to the HD580 or HD600 might be more appropriate? I don't know, I like my HD580 more than the K601 though.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #54 of 86
I have owned the following....

K501
K501 with Fitz cable
K601
K701
K701 with ALO cable

Of these, I currently have the Fitz 501 and the ALO 701. I love both.

The 701s are definitely technically superior with loads of detail and separation and an energy that the stock 701s lacked. But I find myself reaching for the 501s just as much because of their fluidity, musicality and their luscious mids. And though I love the airyness with the stock pads, I much prefer the warmth of K601 pads on the 501s. The 701 pads are too dense (and for me less comfy) though I know most seem to prefer them. But the 601 pads add just the righ amount of bass and weight for me. I actually prefer them on the 701 as well, but only have one pair currently and they do not seem to be available anywhere and the AKG customer service never even returns an e-mail....

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #55 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by varro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next is the k1000, the k340 or k501 are definetly not better.

That's debatable. Many AKG users emphatically prefer the K501 to the K701, including myself. Reason: a much better-integrated midrange. : )

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #56 of 86
Hi guys,

I also own a K340, but since I have no reference material, I would like to know how I could find out if I have the so-called "bassy" version or the "light" one... Any pointers you guys could give me?

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #57 of 86
Hmmm... Have any other headphones that you can compare them to? Generally, when properly driven, the bass light version has more detail throughout and is not really what I would consider bass light at all. The bassy version can sound too bassy even when properly driven and never really has the detail of the bass light version. They both sound great, so I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd suggest getting to a meet with a few other K340's so that you can compare them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #58 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... Have any other headphones that you can compare them to? Generally, when properly driven, the bass light version has more detail throughout and is not really what I would consider bass light at all. The bassy version can sound too bassy even when properly driven and never really has the detail of the bass light version. They both sound great, so I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd suggest getting to a meet with a few other K340's so that you can compare them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a HD-580 to which I can compare it. To be honest, the K340 sounds a bit more clear to me compared to the HD-580. For instance, when listening to "Eva cassidy's Stormy Monday" the K340 lets me hear all the little noises in the background, people clapping and yelling excitedly.. The HD-580 keeps Eva more in front, and kind of filters the background noises a bit.

With both the cans it still sounds stunning, but the K340 adds something to the music which the HD580 doesnt.. But then again, when listening to my favourite music (IDM and Chill/Ambient like Boards of Canada and Telefon Tel Aviv) the HD580 sounds better because it seems more "airy". But thats probably because its an open headphone. And the HD580 is also a bit more bassy..

Considering that, I probably have the bass-light or bass-neutral version ?

Apr 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #59 of 86
prospero21, to see if you have a bassy pair or not, run a low frequency sweep down below 30hz and you will see. If it rolls off <30hz, it's bass light for sure. I remember my bassy pair once did 20hz no problem...

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #60 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
prospero21, to see if you have a bassy pair or not, run a low frequency sweep down below 30hz and you will see. If it rolls off <30hz, it's bass light for sure. I remember my bassy pair once did 20hz no problem...

Thank you for this suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

I used CoolEdit to generate a 25hz tone and while there was a slight bass audible, it was nearly silent.. When generating a 30hz tone it was much more apparent.

So I guess this means I have a bass-light version, which pleases me very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back