AKG Differences in Product Range (whatdoichooose?)
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

j'adoreaudio

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.. I have 3 (related) questions for the head-fi brains trust!

1) Can someone please explain to me, in a nutshell, the difference between the AKG Studio, Studio MKII and the HD range?
I understand that the 24x v 27x is mostly an open V. closed thing.. And i believe that Studio MKII replaces Studio in their lineup.. but I don't know the real difference between Studio, Studio MKII and HD so don't know which one to choose (because pretty much all these are still in available stock AFAIK)

2) So Audiophiles.. which one is right for me?
K240 Studio || K240 MKII Studio || K242 HD
K271 Studio || K271 MKII Studio || K272 HD

My criteriae: comfortable, well built and attractive circumaural headphones which will be driven UNamped from a latest gen ipod nano while on the move/commuting. I listen mostly to indie/alt-folk/rock but nothing too "hard-rocky". I don't like excessive bass but want clear crisp unmuffled bass response. I don't crank the volume while I commute so I don't mind some sound leak as long as it's not so great that my fellow commuters can sing along or will kill me.

3) Are AKG 601s a viable (or better) unamped option with only a nano? If i'm using them unamped from a nano, am I crazy to not consider the Beyer DT860s? Anything else?

Your feedback and advice are, as always, greatly appreciated!

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 7
I believe the MKII is the same as the S version, with velours pads added (better comfort! you can also buy spares if the K271S is considerably cheaper) and the HD version is the same without detachable cable. (useful for replacement/custom cable)

the K271S I had really liked an amp, but you can probably start just fine without one. It had good isolation, so you won't hear the commuting noises as badly as with an open headphone. Before this one I almost always had open headphones and it really was a revelation.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 7
I can share my opinions on the third question. The K601s fit your musical tastes very well. However, they are very big and a little too fragile for use while commuting. They also require a decent amplifier.

If you decide to look into a desktop setup though, they are definitely something to audition.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 7
I wouldnt get too hung up on a single brand, but I agree that the model differentiation is weird in the current AKG line. I asked recently if anyone could provide feedback on the K242 HD and got absolutely no responses, and still cant tell what the real differences between the 271S and 271 MKII are - great stuff,AKG.

FWIW, I would concentrate more on finding the headphone that suits your music and comfort preferences rather than focussing on a brand. As I've said in a couple of threads, the 601s only come into their own with a decent amp under them - anything else is going to be very disappointing.

estreeter

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 7
the differences between the studio, studio mkII and HD are the studio have a detachable cable (comes with straight and coiled) and pleather pads, the mkII has updated colour slightly and also includes velour pads and the HD is the consumer version with no detachable cable and velour pads and a much nicer colour scheme.

The k271's aren't that comfortable as the pads aren't anywhere near as big as the K601/K701. the k240's are similar too so i wouldn't get any as a portable headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back