AKG, AT, or Senn?
Feb 6, 2006 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

skudmunky

Headphoneus Supremus
I just made a bit of extra money, and since computer upgrading is out of the way I think I can convince my parents to let me get some new headphones.

I looked around, and it seems my choices in my price range (and no, I can't really stretch it just a bit more, and then a bit more, and then a bit more
wink.gif
) are AKG k501, AKG k240s, ATH-A700, ATH-AD700, HD555, or HD580. I don't think the 580 would work to well for me, because I'm only running from a CMoy. All suggestions are welcome, but I don't think I'll go Grado because of the lack of soundstage, though I do like Grado sound, and don't find them uncomfortable at all.

Just in case you hadn't noticed from my choices, I want large, circumaural headphones. Closed is good, blocks out the noise from my computer and siblings. How much of a difference is there between the closed and open AT 'phones?

I listen to rock, classical, and jazz, and I will also use these for gaming, so soundstage is important. I love the sound signature of my portaPros, so dark/warm with punchy impactfull bass is a plus. For now I'll be using these out of my Sound Blaster Live and Zen Micro, with a CMoy amp, and I can't spring more money out for a better amp or source.

Based on all that info, what do you guys think?

Also, any places in Boston where I would be able to try the AKG or Senn headphones? That would help me narrow my choices down.

Thanks guys!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 27
i would rule the K501 out too- a cmoy might not be beefy enough to power that can.

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i would rule the K501 out too- a cmoy might not be beefy enough to power that can.

Hum, thanks.

I can get the K240s from TTVJ for 80, how much improvent would the A or AD 500/700s be over that?

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 27
Bump for more info...

How do the K240s perform without an amp? I knowthe 555s work well ampless, and the Audio Technicas are supposed to also. Also, how much of a sound difference is there between the open and closed AT 'phones?

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
How do the K240s perform without an amp? I knowthe 555s work well ampless, and the Audio Technicas are supposed to also.

IMHO, the K240s sound great without an amp. Your Cmoy should tighten the bass "punch" up, as you like.

It's funny that you list a preference for closed cans (PC, siblings), then list 5 open cans! :) If you need closed, consider the A500 - great bass, better soundstage than the K240s for gaming, and sound great unamped. I particularly enjoyed my limited classical listening when I had A500, for the relatively cavernous and dead-black soundstage.

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
IMHO, the K240s sound great without an amp. Your Cmoy should tighten the bass "punch" up, as you like.

It's funny that you list a preference for closed cans (PC, siblings), then list 5 open cans! :) If you need closed, consider the A500 - great bass, better soundstage than the K240s for gaming, and sound great unamped. I particularly enjoyed my limited classical listening when I had A500, for the relatively cavernous and dead-black soundstage.

Yeah, I know, but there are a lot more open headphones to choose from. I'm considering the k240s and A500/700 now. How much of an improvement would either of these 3 be over my portaPros?

thanks!

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 27
I am listening to akg k240s right now amped with a xin super mini and it does sound better amped for sure!

I had them for awhile before I had the amp and I was ignoring them till today I plugged them in and I put my MS1 away for today. I am hearing Steely Dan and it sounds so good. I am not sure about other music as it does have a deep bass but that bass works well with Rock, the mids are so smooth and it sounds great. As I mentioned I put the MS1's away for now as it sounded so nice and smooth and luscious deep bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

The amp does tighten the bass, without amp the bass does not sound as good, kinda flabby I guess is the word. But that cmoy should help it.

I was a fanatic over the Grados (including the Alessandro MS1) and the Grados sound good ampless but better with amps. But now I am digging this 240s which I will say again are much much better with amps.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 27
Well, Looks like tomorrow a freind of mine and I are gunna cruise down to microcenter and audio lab to fullfill our pc and headphone needs. Then, if theres time, maybe hit up speariit audio and guitar center.

Audio Lab let you demo headphones?

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 27
If you get a chance audition the K271 Studio... a great closed headphone, just make sure you have your cmoy with you.
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If you get a chance audition the K271 Studio... a great closed headphone, just make sure you have your cmoy with you.
tongue.gif

Always do, and will do. It's double the price of the 240s though, dunno if I will be able to spring out that much.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Always do, and will do. It's double the price of the 240s though, dunno if I will be able to spring out that much.

It is worth double the price IMO. It's sound is somewhere between the K240S and the K501 in terms of tonality, and while it can't approach the K501 in detail and soundstaging, I think it is as good if not better in all other respects. Less bass than the K240S, but it is tighter and goes deeper I think. It offers good isolation, an intimate soundstage and a lovely midrange. They do tend to get a little sweaty in the summer though.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 27
Well, went down the Audio Cubes with a freind of mine. They sadly didn't have k240s or k271s in stock, so we tried out some other phones in the price range. HD555, SR60/80, k301, HD25 (the cheaper version)... Well, Grado SR80 > HD555 > k301 to me, in terms of musicality and enjoyment..The 301s were light and comfortable, but I hated the sound... No bass whatsoever.

So, my question is, how do the k271s, k240s, and A500/700 stack up compared to the Grado SR80s?

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Well, went down the Audio Cubes with a freind of mine. They sadly didn't have k240s or k271s in stock, so we tried out some other phones in the price range. HD555, SR60/80, k301, HD25 (the cheaper version)... Well, Grado SR80 > HD555 > k301 to me, in terms of musicality and enjoyment..The 301s were light and comfortable, but I hated the sound... No bass whatsoever.

So, my question is, how do the k271s, k240s, and A500/700 stack up compared to the Grado SR80s?

In a lot of ways, Grados are somewhat unique sounding. Granted, I have not heard the K240 / 271 or Audio Technicas, but as described I don't think they're quite the same. If you like the Grado sound, go for the Grado. Searching for that signature elsewhere (as many have done for comfort reasons) will most likely prove frustrating and fruitless.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
In a lot of ways, Grados are somewhat unique sounding. Granted, I have not heard the K240 / 271 or Audio Technicas, but as described I don't think they're quite the same. If you like the Grado sound, go for the Grado. Searching for that signature elsewhere (as many have done for comfort reasons) will most likely prove frustrating and fruitless.

Well, comfort isnt a problem. Grados just dont game well, because of the small soundstage. Also, I'm looking for closed headphones. Hm, looks like I'll end up ordering online and returning if I don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back