AKG 712 Pro or Philips Fidelio X2HR for gaming
Dec 2, 2017 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

combatant3219

New Head-Fier
Use case is predominantly gaming (FPS) with some music/video use as well. Currently run an Essence STX with AD900X and continue to be very pleased with this set up.

Would like to try something new/different just for a change and currently tossing up between AKG 712 Pro and Philips Fidelio X2HR.

Not looking to change sound card or grab an AMP/DAC currently since I think the STX will drive both of these just fine, although may grab something like a Schiit Fulla 2 in the future.

Any thoughts on either of these headphones?

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 9
AKG K712 is better but only when paired with a DAC/Amp. Don't think that the STX will handle it because it won't, it may get loud enough but volume isn't the only factor as the sound quality of the K712 comes to life under proper amplification.

AKG K712 + Schiit Fulla 2 is a killer combo.

If you don't want to get a dedicated DAC/Amp then the X2 is hard to beat.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 9
The sound card isn't a great pairing for the K712, so I'd vote the X2. The AKG is apparently the better headphone across the board except in bass quantity but it needs a decent amp for it to be worth its price tag.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 9
AKG K712 is a reference headphone. More technical and analytic sounding.
Fidelio X2HR is a cinematic/fun sounding headphone, with powerful bass and sparkly but not clinical treble.

It's down to what type of sound you're looking for.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 9
The sound card isn't a great pairing for the K712, so I'd vote the X2. The AKG is apparently the better headphone across the board except in bass quantity but it needs a decent amp for it to be worth its price tag.

You don't think the amp in the STX would drive them well enough? It's meant to be good up to 600ohm

AKG K712 is a reference headphone. More technical and analytic sounding.
Fidelio X2HR is a cinematic/fun sounding headphone, with powerful bass and sparkly but not clinical treble.

It's down to what type of sound you're looking for.

Well it's mainly for gaming use so I want to be able to pin point sounds I guess. From what I'v read both should be pretty decent at doing this, but if the X2HR has bass that will muddy everything or has a narrower sound stage that might be a consideration too.

So far as pricing goes, I'm in Australia and can get the AKG K712 for $259AUD or the Fidelio X2HR for $299AUD.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 9
You don't think the amp in the STX would drive them well enough? It's meant to be good up to 600ohm

That's a marketing gimmick. It'll power a 600 ohm headphone and it'll make noise, but it won't sound good. Just like how the Prius will go 0-100, but it'll take a year to do so. That's why I don't like gaming sound cards, also the fact that they rarely publish the useful specifications, likely because they aren't good and people will buy other products if they saw how bad the specs were.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 9
That's a marketing gimmick. It'll power a 600 ohm headphone and it'll make noise, but it won't sound good. Just like how the Prius will go 0-100, but it'll take a year to do so. That's why I don't like gaming sound cards, also the fact that they rarely publish the useful specifications, likely because they aren't good and people will buy other products if they saw how bad the specs were.

Asus STX is not gaming soundcard.

Well it's mainly for gaming use so I want to be able to pin point sounds I guess. From what I'v read both should be pretty decent at doing this, but if the X2HR has bass that will muddy everything or has a narrower sound stage that might be a consideration too.

So far as pricing goes, I'm in Australia and can get the AKG K712 for $259AUD or the Fidelio X2HR for $299AUD.

Being able to drive 600 Ohm headphones means nothing. That's useless data.
The K712 is a low impedance headphone with relatively low sensitivity. These type of headphone is typically the hardest to drive.
From the amplifier perspective, driving a single AKG K712 is like driving 5 Sennheiser HD650 at once.
(Read, it's not as simple as higher impedance = harder to drive)

That said, in this case the Asus STX will drive them both (X2HR or K712) fine.
You can get better sure, you can always get something better...
For what it's worth, the STX will drive them both fine. Pick the right headphone first and enjoy. Then start looking for an even better DAC/Amp if you have the means to get one.

If you want a clean and layered sound, the K712 should work very well. It's also a good all rounder overall, unlike headphones like K702 or DT880 Pro or HD800 which tend to be very analytical but a tad bass light for some genres. With the Fidelio you get a sturdier feeling headphone, more luxurious, but more consumer oriented as well. The K712 is a much more refined headphone overall and it has been designed as a studio reference, so it might not be as fancy, but it's light and confortable and does what it's supposed to do very well. The bass is extended and clean without being mid-bassy or intrussive, vocals sound very natural and the treble is incissive yet not as clinical as something like HD800. The Fidelio is meant for a different public in my view, it can be a WOW-ing headphone but lacks some refinament next to reference quality headphones.

Coming from AD900x, the K712 might be perceived slightly fuller sounding, with improved imaging (not necessarily bigger soundstage) and slightly softer but more detailed, cleaner treble response.

Hope this helps.
Me x3

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Asus STX is not gaming soundcard.

Being able to drive 600 Ohm headphones means nothing. That's useless data.
The K712 is a low impedance headphone with relatively low sensitivity. These type of headphone is typically the hardest to drive.
From the amplifier perspective, driving a single AKG K712 is like driving 5 Sennheiser HD650 at once.
(Read, it's not as simple as higher impedance = harder to drive)

That said, in this case the Asus STX will drive them both (X2HR or K712) fine.
You can get better sure, you can always get something better...
For what it's worth, the STX will drive them both fine. Pick the right headphone first and enjoy. Then start looking for an even better DAC/Amp if you have the means to get one.

If you want a clean and layered sound, the K712 should work very well. It's also a good all rounder overall, unlike headphones like K702 or DT880 Pro or HD800 which tend to be very analytical but a tad bass light for some genres. With the Fidelio you get a sturdier feeling headphone, more luxurious, but more consumer oriented as well. The K712 is a much more refined headphone overall and it has been designed as a studio reference, so it might not be as fancy, but it's light and confortable and does what it's supposed to do very well. The bass is extended and clean without being mid-bassy or intrussive, vocals sound very natural and the treble is incissive yet not as clinical as something like HD800. The Fidelio is meant for a different public in my view, it can be a WOW-ing headphone but lacks some refinament next to reference quality headphones.

Coming from AD900x, the K712 might be perceived slightly fuller sounding, with improved imaging (not necessarily bigger soundstage) and slightly softer but more detailed, cleaner treble response.

Hope this helps.
Me x3

Thanks for the reply.

Some other advice I've had regarding the AKG K712 is that coming from my AD900X it's more of a sidegrade (wider/smeared soundstage, less bass, slightly smoother treble). What are your thoughts?

Based on this maybe something like the Fidelio X2 would be the way to go so I also have a bit of a different sounding headphone to what I already have.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 9
It really depends on how you weight things. You already have a quality open back with a neutralish sound signature, at this point personal preferences start playing a bigger role.
K712 can be considered a sidegrade as much as HD800 can be considered a sidegrade. But sometimes subtle differences can make you enjoy you're whole music collection again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back