AKG 702 without an amp sounds great!
Apr 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #16 of 23
Volume ≠ properly driven.

Those suggesting it's super out of an iPod but DO NOT have a desktop amp capable of showing some flair out of the boring headphone really shouldn't comment.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 23
Sorry to hear you blew up your amp. Luckily I haven't harmed a single piece of equipment so far
biggrin.gif
Can't say that about computers, but that's another story
biggrin.gif
I have heard the K701 and didn't really grab my attention. It was only driven through my Zero to my MAD Ear+ HD though. Then I tried it with the Burson HA-160 and it sounded a bit better. Still, I can't say it sounded all that good straight from my Zero. I would imagine it would be pretty poor straight from an iPod or the alikes. I suggest if you are going to own some audiophile grade headphones, at least get a SS amp valued at $300+ and a good DAC to along with it
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #18 of 23
I just noted an error in my earlier post - I do not enjoy the K701 out of my Icon or iPod. I've heard the K701 out of all the amps I've considered out of my signature save for the Elekit and Stello, and I've also heard the K701 from the Compass and Phonitor, and imo there's no contest. I would easily prefer any of my IEM's, or even D5000, out of the Icon. As for the K701 as a whole, my jury is out on that one.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #19 of 23
I've never heard the K701 out of an ipod but with my DT880 it is very dependant on the actual music/songs. With some songs they sound almost exactly the same with an ipod as opposed to out of my dac and amp but then with other songs the improvement is very noticeable. 1 word of advice to you is that any1 who tells you that any headphones sound **** out of an ipod is either massively exaggerating or they are too pretentious to perceive the difference between their own hype and reality.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 23
I've been listening to my 701s out of a Macbook for the past week as I wait to get an amp. They sound "good" - but nothing out of the ordinary. Like a less exciting, flatter copy of the ESW9 with a wider soundstage. I was auditioning the 701 amped and was literally grinning the entire time because it sounded so amazing. So, sure, it may sound fine directly from the source, but you're missing out on so much potential.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #22 of 23
Since my Airhead died I basically have nothing to use at all now until I buy a new one and it's Friday. I have to wait until Monday just to order one. I'll live. I think.

I tried them with an Icon Mobile amp and it's just an awful combination.

Just really quick, what's the best portable amp for the 702 that's under $170? I was thinking of getting the Ibasso D4. Whatever one was $169. I did some research, but haven't come up with anything good yet. I'm guessing the cheapest one Ibasso makes would be worthless for the AKG 702.

I thought the Airhead was actually pretty good for $99, better then the Icon Mobile amp for sure. I just don't like the design at all.

It's too bad all these headphone amp companies only accept money orders or PayPal only. I don't trust Paypal and a credit card. It's a long story.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by avocado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to my 701s out of a Macbook for the past week as I wait to get an amp. They sound "good" - but nothing out of the ordinary. Like a less exciting, flatter copy of the ESW9 with a wider soundstage. I was auditioning the 701 amped and was literally grinning the entire time because it sounded so amazing. So, sure, it may sound fine directly from the source, but you're missing out on so much potential.

Yep, people get all upset when we tell their expensive hifi headphones don't sound great out of a iPod, portable or soundcard... It's not exactly like they're horrifyingly bad, but if that's all you're going to use it for might as well pick up something that was designed to be used that way and save some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back